Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

fixed my horn - screwed up something else

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2009, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fixed my horn - screwed up something else

2002 Venture
This all started with my horn not working. I checked the fuse etc. but that didn't seem to be the problem and if I removed the horn and connected +- to it it worked.
So rather than messing around with the steering wheel and air-bag etc. I just wanted a working horn so I rigged up a couple of wires to run from under the hood to a switch under the dash that if I press will now sound one of the horns ( I cut it's connector and put one to ground with the other running through my switch to +).
I realize not an elegant solution but I figured I just wanted a working horn.

So now I have a new problem which is the van won't start. I turn the key on and the dash lights come on etc. but if I turn the key further to try and start it I get 'nothing'.

I'm going to go check the fuses I guess...

Update: If I check a little closer today I realize I have no radio either and I think I may have just drained my battery somehow with my 'farmer fix'. So I'm charging my battery and we'll see where that gets me later in the day.

MD

Last edited by mdjbhouse; May 17th, 2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: update info
Old May 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I could be wrong, but...
The horn circuit is incorporated into the ignition.
Its a anti-theft feature. Often theifs will disable the horn, which disable the audible portion of the factory alarm, then hotwire the vehicle and drive away. Incorporating the horn with the ignition switch will cause the ignition to be disabled when the horn wires are cut.
If thats the case, which I think it is, then you would have been much better off to open the wheel and fix it.

Its always best to do it right
Old May 17th, 2009, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting...
If that's the case then I'm be in over my head as I didn't want to have some air bag blow up in my face just to get my horn working.
I'm just going to leave it disconnected from my switch for now as it did start again after I put the charger on then maybe I'll remove my stuff and get a mechanic to look at it.
Thanks.