Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Fuel Pressure Regulator or Crankshaft Sensor?

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2023, 4:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2004 Venture

Originally Posted by algot1901
If the CRANKSHAFT sensor is bad will the engine (3400cc) start? I know the CAMSHAFT sensor can be disconnected and the engine runs, I am going to replace the CRANKSHAFT sensor for the third time and this new one is going to be a GM unit and hopefully the money light will go away..
regarding the FUEL PRESSURE sensor can someone explain what it does and what actuates it? There is a vacuum line that goes to it.
My problem is the starting of the engine which is hit or miss, sometimes it will start on it's own and other times it needes a sniff of either and then it will run until the key is turned off. If I have no vacuum at the FPReg will fuel still flow to the injectors? When the engine goes into it's no start mode it does have spark and the injectors are working, I must remove the air cleaner and squirt a shot of either then turn the key and the engine is running until I shut it off. I at one time thiught it was the pass key but I have rulled that out Thanks for the help in advance.
The one I owned had so many problems I finally gave up and sold it a loss. Got a `1994 GMC Jimmy and it has had a lot fewer issues.
Old July 27th, 2023, 6:42 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As far as I know, the FUEL PRESSURE sensor judges engine load based on manifold vacuum; seeing low vacuum lets it know that the engine is under load with more throttle opened, so it increases the fuel pressure to the rails to help them keep up to the demand.