Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Harmonic balance replacement

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2020, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmonic balance replacement

Hi. I just replaced the harmonic balancer on my Chevy venture 2001 but it does not start. I already repalced the crankshaft position sensor but it does not start. I´ve already scanned it but it shows any code. As I turn the key on and the starter runs, the engine does turn with no difficulty and with no unusual noises so I suppose the timing chain is ok but I don´t know if there is any chance that because of the harmonic balancer failure, it could skip a theet and alter the timming.

Last edited by GRIFTHOFFEN; June 13th, 2020 at 2:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 13th, 2020, 3:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 342 Likes on 323 Posts

Why did you change the harmonic balancer? Was it running before the change? I don't know about the Venture, but I just changed a balancer on a 03 Blazer and the crankshaft sensor is right next to it. Check the wires going to the crank sensor as they might have been damaged.
Old June 13th, 2020, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank youfor your post. I changed the harmonic balancer because it started to make some noise and then it made a loud crnking sound and the engine stopped but is not blocked. I already replaced the Sendor and checked for a faultyu cable or connection but everthing looks ok. Nevertheless the engine does not start.
Old June 13th, 2020, 4:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by GRIFTHOFFEN
Thank youfor your post. I changed the harmonic balancer because it started to make some noise and then it made a loud crnking sound and the engine stopped but is not blocked. I already replaced the Sendor and checked for a faultyu cable or connection but everthing looks ok. Nevertheless the engine does not start.
Harmonic balancer is keyed, can only go on one way. If you have slop with it on the crankshaft, look to see if the key is worn, or wrong size.