Notices
Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Squealing but not the belt

Old May 14th, 2019, 5:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Squealing but not the belt

So I have a 2000 silhouette that is squealing when I accelerate. I assumed it was the belt, so I ordered a new one. When I took the old belt off, I started it up and hit the accelerator. It still squeals with no belt. Any idea what could cause a squealing sound other than the belt/pullies?
Old May 15th, 2019, 4:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Hello!
1.Water pump pulley. If the bearings in the pulley are beginning to fail, they will make noise.
2.It - V-Belt Slipping: In these instances, the sound is actually coming from the belt slipping on a pulley and it just SOUNDS like it’s coming from behind the timing belt cover.
3.Pulley Misalignment: A squealing or squeaking noise can seem to come from behind the timing belt cover if one of your other pulleys is misaligned (generally after incorrect replacement of the belt on an adjustable pulley).
4.Perhaps the whistle comes from the generator (bearing).
You can remove the belt and start the engine without the alternator hooked up. If it is the alternator then the whine should be gone
Good luck!
Old May 16th, 2019, 2:05 PM
I'm here for the party

Originally Posted by M_metzger1114 View Post
It still squeals with no belt.
think you missed this part i think youre onto something thats behind the timing cover. but im not sure whats back there on this engine. maybe the timing chain/belt tensioner but again i have no idea

Search this Thread
Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: