Volt Get plugged into Chevrolet's electric car! The batteries will take you most anywhere and the on-board generator can take you beyond!
Named the 2011 North American Car of the Year

Chevrolet Volt
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: ClipperCreek

Chevy to halt Volt production for 5 weeks

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2012, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chevy to halt Volt production for 5 weeks

GM shutting down Chevy Volt production for five weeks
Old March 7th, 2012, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyone knows that the Volt pricepoint precludes it from being a true mass market success, but GM must do more to promote the Volt Their idea of relying on owner generated buzz on social media is a joke. This is a new car with new technology that will live or die with a consumer base that does not yet exist. GM must promote this car to the mainstream touting more than the technology. This is a great car that fits the bill for many, if not most Americans. The fact that it's plug-in is a great bonus that probably, by itself, won't sell it to anyone but early adopters and eco-nerds. My sister drove mine when I visited her recently, and liked it because it was the right size, comfortable, and had all the bells and whistles she's used to (except power seats). She also figures that she would almost never need gas, except for long trips. So the gas thing is important, but wouldn't be a factor if the rest of the car wasn't great.

So GM might try the kind of promotion it does the rest of the line. If it sells well, it will be a great halo car to bring people in the showrooms. They might get a Volt, or they might opt for a Cruze or Malibu, but it will have done its' job as a halo. The half- hearted promotion we are seeing now has led to the shutdown and the kind of embarrassment associated with the old GM.

GM got the technology right. Now let's see if they know what to do with it.
Old March 8th, 2012, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Catbert
I think everyone knows that the Volt pricepoint precludes it from being a true mass market success, but GM must do more to promote the Volt Their idea of relying on owner generated buzz on social media is a joke. This is a new car with new technology that will live or die with a consumer base that does not yet exist. GM must promote this car to the mainstream touting more than the technology. This is a great car that fits the bill for many, if not most Americans. The fact that it's plug-in is a great bonus that probably, by itself, won't sell it to anyone but early adopters and eco-nerds. My sister drove mine when I visited her recently, and liked it because it was the right size, comfortable, and had all the bells and whistles she's used to (except power seats). She also figures that she would almost never need gas, except for long trips. So the gas thing is important, but wouldn't be a factor if the rest of the car wasn't great.

So GM might try the kind of promotion it does the rest of the line. If it sells well, it will be a great halo car to bring people in the showrooms. They might get a Volt, or they might opt for a Cruze or Malibu, but it will have done its' job as a halo. The half- hearted promotion we are seeing now has led to the shutdown and the kind of embarrassment associated with the old GM.

GM got the technology right. Now let's see if they know what to do with it.
Took the words and lots more right out of my mouth. The Volts a Great Car and people just don't know how great this vehicle is. Chevrolet is missing the boat.
Old March 9th, 2012, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

My words also. Why on earth did they price it like a Lincoln Town Car? Folks are buying up the Prius' and not even test driving the Volt. Chevy can afford to lower the price so middle class folks can own it. They'd better hurry up or the Chevy Volt may become the Chevy Dinosaur.
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

I took a Volt for a test drive last weekend and really liked its performance. They seem to have thought of just about everything in the gadget department. After the drive I went in to the sales office to see how the payments would look with trading in my 2010 Malibu. I know the price of the car but was really disappointed with a 5 year monthly of over $450. Now that didn't include any down-payment but that's ridiculous. The people who can afford it don't care about the cost of gas and would rather spend the money on a guzzler. I would have jumped on the Volt purchase if it was even close to my Malibu payments. Disappointing...

Last edited by pcochrane; March 12th, 2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: more detail
Old March 14th, 2012, 6:24 PM
CF Pro Member

thankfully the govt is giving an instant credit now, so it will soon be like a malibu payment, that tax credit is also bumped to 10k, so it would be like buying a $30 000 car

on the other end, i do agree gm needs to advertise more, the small amount of social media done is very dumb for a vehicle like this, it is attacked by polititions, media and anyone else who has a grudge with GM or the current administration. its time to get bob lutz to write and star in comercials for the volt.
there isnt anyone in the world who can explain car common sense like bob
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:35 AM
CF Beginner

I can't locate any info on an instant credit or that it's been bumped to $10k. If it's true it would make the difference for me. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I remember reading about the Volt when the pricing first came out that they weren't making any money on it at that pricepoint. So, it's got to be difficult to pour money into advertising. But, since they seem to be commited to it and it appears to be the future in at least small cars, they've got to do it better.
Old March 15th, 2012, 1:28 PM
CF Pro Member

GMInsideNews is where i got the source, ill look up the link
Old March 15th, 2012, 1:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Volt Tax Credit May Become Instant Discount; May Be Raised To $10,000
there you go hope it helps
Old March 16th, 2012, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by pcochrane
I can't locate any info on an instant credit or that it's been bumped to $10k. If it's true it would make the difference for me. I'll keep an eye out for it.

I remember reading about the Volt when the pricing first came out that they weren't making any money on it at that pricepoint. So, it's got to be difficult to pour money into advertising. But, since they seem to be commited to it and it appears to be the future in at least small cars, they've got to do it better.
Having good old Bob doing a commercial is a brilliant idea. He has the credibility of Iacocca, and a dyed in the wool Republican, pro business truth teller. He is the furthest thing from the tre-huggers that the green movement has been associated with. Go get him GM.

Quick Reply: Chevy to halt Volt production for 5 weeks