Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

03 GMC Sierra - Cranks for 3 seconds but won't start

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2017, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 GMC Sierra - Cranks for 3 seconds but won't start

Hello everyone. I have a truck and it's been giving me and everyone I've asked for help a lot of trouble diagnosing. I recently had someone remove, rebuild, and replace the transmission. After I got the truck back it was running fine. I drove it to the gas station and back home. When I got home I tried to crank the truck again and that's when this problem occured.

The truck will crank but it won't start. It's cranks over for 2-3 seconds and then it stops cranking even with the key still in the crank position. It stops cranking at the exact same amount of time every time I try. It's cranking at full strength with no dragging. But the truck has no spark. I tried to replace the Crank Shaft position sensor hoping that would help but no go.

Things I've done are replace the battery. Replace the Crank position sensor. I've check over all the wiring and grounds a few times. Cleaned up all my ground wires. I've disconnected the shifter cable and manually switched the transmission from park to 1st and back. It does show on the dash that your cycling through the gears. I've tried removing, cleaning, and reconnecting the NSBU at the transmission. I tried removing and cleaning the PCM pins. I checked all fuses. And I checked for 12v power at the fuse block. I also resistance checked the wiring between the PCM and CPS. I haven't found anything out of place or not correctly done. I've kinda hit a wall.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a problem like this before? I was thinking it may have been passlock but that kills fuel pressure right? The truck has good fuel pressure and the light in the dash doesn't flash or anything. Also I hooked a scan tool up and it's not showing any codes and communicted with the PCM just fine.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. I have a video I'm going to try to load too of what it's doing. Thanks
Old January 14th, 2017, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Here is the video I took of the issue.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
VID_20170113_073041118.mp3 (508.2 KB, 98 views)
Old January 26th, 2023, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Recently same problem

Originally Posted by Grady Connell
Hello everyone. I have a truck and it's been giving me and everyone I've asked for help a lot of trouble diagnosing. I recently had someone remove, rebuild, and replace the transmission. After I got the truck back it was running fine. I drove it to the gas station and back home. When I got home I tried to crank the truck again and that's when this problem occured.

The truck will crank but it won't start. It's cranks over for 2-3 seconds and then it stops cranking even with the key still in the crank position. It stops cranking at the exact same amount of time every time I try. It's cranking at full strength with no dragging. But the truck has no spark. I tried to replace the Crank Shaft position sensor hoping that would help but no go.

Things I've done are replace the battery. Replace the Crank position sensor. I've check over all the wiring and grounds a few times. Cleaned up all my ground wires. I've disconnected the shifter cable and manually switched the transmission from park to 1st and back. It does show on the dash that your cycling through the gears. I've tried removing, cleaning, and reconnecting the NSBU at the transmission. I tried removing and cleaning the PCM pins. I checked all fuses. And I checked for 12v power at the fuse block. I also resistance checked the wiring between the PCM and CPS. I haven't found anything out of place or not correctly done. I've kinda hit a wall.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a problem like this before? I was thinking it may have been passlock but that kills fuel pressure right? The truck has good fuel pressure and the light in the dash doesn't flash or anything. Also I hooked a scan tool up and it's not showing any codes and communicted with the PCM just fine.

If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. I have a video I'm going to try to load too of what it's doing. Thanks
I recently had same problem as u explained with a 03 gmc sierra and help how u fixed it would be greatly appreciated.