HHR This retro crossover vehicle combines the usefulness of a minivan with the size of a mid sized car.
Platform: Delta
Also Check out ChevyHHR.net

power steering cuts out

Search this Thread

Old November 3rd, 2011, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile power steering cuts out

Hi. Was wondering if anyone has had a problem with their power steering if you have a 2008 HHR LS? On mine, a message lights up on the dash, " power steering". It's not choosey where this occurs...while driving, stopped at a light, etc. I made an appointment to see the dealer. When I started the car, IT HAD POWER STEERING AGAIN!? When I saw the dealer, there wasn't a problem, but he went through steps and "reset" it. Continuing to use the car, the problem happened 3-4 times going to work in a 35 min. car ride? This time, I pulled over and shut off the car. Then I started it again. Had power steering again! This occurs sporadically now. Does anyone have any answers? The car has 23k+ miles on it. There is no other problem I've noticed. I'd like to get it fixed before the warranty expires. Thanks
dodger1948
Old November 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. The power steering on yours is electric. Do you have audio control buttons on the steering wheel? If so, see if they work during these episodes of outage? If they don't, there's a PI out (search for "#PIC4578E" on the web). Otherwise, you're going to have to take it in for service when it happens and be sure not to turn the vehicle off when you get there.
Old November 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Dodger,
I would definitely try what EinST suggested. Lets us know what you find. If you would like you can send me your contact information( name, address, phone number, email address) VIN number, mileage and the dealership that you are working with and I can look further into this issue for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old November 17th, 2011, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Angry

Originally Posted by EinST
Welcome to the forum. The power steering on yours is electric. Do you have audio control buttons on the steering wheel? If so, see if they work during these episodes of outage? If they don't, there's a PI out (search for "#PIC4578E" on the web). Otherwise, you're going to have to take it in for service when it happens and be sure not to turn the vehicle off when you get there.
Hi Einst. Ended up taking the HHR to the dealer I bought it from(not Chevy). The power steering was out and the service manager showed this to the mechanic. 2 days later, I get a call from the service manager. He said the problem hasn't happened again and he was going to take it to Chevy today or tomorrow. I can't understand why the power steering didn't go out for him. I asked him not to shut the car off when I brought it in! Why couldn't he run a computer check or something to check the electrical system for a loose wire or something?? I'm really pissed of! The car has less than 24K miles. Any feed back?
dodger1948
Old November 17th, 2011, 5:52 PM
CF Veteran

I take it the selling dealership is not a GM brand? They probably didn't have the diagnostic equipment to interface with the EPS. With the 36k/3yr warranty, you should've taken it to a GM dealership so that the concern can be recorded for warranty purposes and that they can get it scanned while things are still in the problem state.
Old November 27th, 2011, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Einst. Problem was short in power steering motor...go figure, right. Was found and replaced by Chevy dealer.Hyundi dealer I bought car from not able to figure an "electrical" problem...What different equipment is needed? They paid for it since car was still under their warranty. Thanks again for your assisstance.
dodger1948
Old November 27th, 2011, 8:52 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for the update. You need a Tech 2 scan tool to diagnose EPS problems, not to mention zeroing and setup, something you wouldn't normally find in a Hyundai service department. The EPS motor/module assembly should've been covered under the 36k/3yr warranty and thus, strictly speaking, the selling dealership didn't pay for the repair. It sounds like they took care of you, otherwise.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default Power steering cuts out

I have a 2010 HHR, and I'm having all sorts of troubles with it.
First, the a/c developed a hole in the compressor -- $400+ repair
Then, the ignition locked up -- $260 repair
Latest is the steering cutting out -- $330+ repair

Why isn't the ignition lockup and steering cutout issues under a recall?

And what might go out next? I'm not happy with this GM product, and my last three vehicles (all GM) did not have this many problems the first year of ownership.
Old August 13th, 2012, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Please report this to the national highway traffic safety agency. They had a recall on the cobalt for the same issue and the cars use the same parts.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

or by phone
File a Complaint for Child Seats, Tires, Equipment, Vehicles
Monday-Friday (8 am to 8 pm ET)
(888) 327-4236 TTY: (800) 424-9153
Old September 5th, 2012, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by DouginTexas
I have a 2010 HHR, and I'm having all sorts of troubles with it.
First, the a/c developed a hole in the compressor -- $400+ repair
Then, the ignition locked up -- $260 repair
Latest is the steering cutting out -- $330+ repair

Why isn't the ignition lockup and steering cutout issues under a recall?

And what might go out next? I'm not happy with this GM product, and my last three vehicles (all GM) did not have this many problems the first year of ownership.
I know this is a month old. I may have some news for ya. There was a recall issued for the ignition. Try calling your local dealer and have them run your vin. If they say its not under recall then try and get them to goodwill it. My dealer did this when mine got stuck. They know its an issue and if you have a somewhat decent dealer they may help you out. It is a common problem. There are two kinds of HHR owners. The ones who have had the key get stuck and the ones still waiting for it to get stuck!
As for the power steering. Have you tried to jump start anyone with your HHR? If not done correctly it will blow a fuse.

Quick Reply: power steering cuts out