Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

Chevrolet Astro 95 Air Vents dont work

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2014, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevrolet Astro 95 Air Vents dont work

Hi.

A couple of days ago my air vents stopped blowing air, no matter what i tried to set it on the panel it just blows up the top (windows deicing) and down with the feet.

After googling it seems that the problem has something to do with an airhose that controlls this. Seen several Youtube videoclips that both confirms that this must be the problem and also point to an certain degree as to where it is.

But i sure as hell cant find it. I disconnected the hose thingy right next to vent controll,alot of tubing connected in Ts etc, found which was the main lead and disconnected the hose there, when i turn on the egnition i get neither blow or suction. When i try to follow this wire it dissapears up behind the speedometer console and i guess out to the firewall.

Im suspecting the previouse owners where some diddlydaddlers that have messed about with this before...

Ive been digging for hours in the engine room now but i just cant seem to figure it out !!

Can anyone point me in the direction as to where it should be connected on the engine room side? So i can start tracing it from there and check for leaks.

Alternative can it be something other wrong with it?

I have removed the engine cover inside and removed the airfilter unit/hose to get an better view.

Some pictures of the engine, sry for the bad outside engine pic, to much back sun. Let me know if i should try to take an new one

http://s27.postimg.org/g8hh97v5f/bilde_1.jpg
http://s27.postimg.org/kvnjaziib/bilde_2.jpg
http://s18.postimg.org/n1m4a7jvd/bilde_3.jpg
http://s28.postimg.org/cj6p5xkpp/bilde_4.jpg
http://s30.postimg.org/4xblt6o0h/bilde_5.jpg

Any help would be much appriciated, taking the family on roadtrip holiday on tuesday...No fun in this warm weather to not have proper ventilation in the car!
Old June 28th, 2014, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

One more indication that people have tampered with it before is cause i checked the pulse wiper board (having weird issues like the wiper stops randomly on the windscreen, wiper fluid dont work etc), and its clearly one of those china replacements with half the board beeing red. Also found that they had "home repaired" an bridge on it (badly done so i had to redo it with my soldering iron), fingers crossed those work now
Old June 28th, 2014, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

The picture (last one) that shows that line connection only sucks air if the engine is on.

Also when i adjust on the panel with the egnition on i get kinda spring sound from the engine room when changing from front/HTR and from vent/normal AC

But i guess thats just some heating function?
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by svennand
The picture (last one) that shows that line connection only sucks air if the engine is on.

Also when i adjust on the panel with the egnition on i get kinda spring sound from the engine room when changing from front/HTR and from vent/normal AC

But i guess thats just some heating function?
I found almost all my lines deteriorated or broke here's some diagrams that might help keep in mind these were downloaded with reference to a 97 Astro ??/
Attached Thumbnails Chevrolet Astro 95 Air Vents dont work-astro-vacuum-diagram.jpg   Chevrolet Astro 95 Air Vents dont work-97-astro-ac-control-system-vacuum-electrical-lm.jpg   Chevrolet Astro 95 Air Vents dont work-97-astro-air-distribution-system.jpg   Chevrolet Astro 95 Air Vents dont work-astro-vac-dia.-5-.jpg  
Old June 29th, 2014, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by stevejohnson48
I found almost all my lines deteriorated or broke here's some diagrams that might help keep in mind these were downloaded with reference to a 97 Astro ??/
Thanks!

Do you have the list that match the numbering in the pictures?
Alternative are there any website/manual out there where theres an complete diagram list like this for my Chevy (like the ones they use at the repair shops)
Old June 29th, 2014, 2:40 PM
CF Beginner

One question,
When checking for leaks do i need to have the engine running or is it enough to just have the egnition on?

Hate to have to stick my fingers way into the motor room when belts are turning and fans are spinning

When i put on the egnition i hear an fan running, aaaand i seem to recall being able to change output when only egnition was on.

However i only get suction from the yellow air compression reservoir tube when the engine is actually running, so thats why i ask.

Was thinking water mixed with soap to smear over cables and see if i see bobbles
Old June 30th, 2014, 6:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by svennand
One question,
When checking for leaks do i need to have the engine running or is it enough to just have the egnition on?

Hate to have to stick my fingers way into the motor room when belts are turning and fans are spinning

When i put on the egnition i hear an fan running, aaaand i seem to recall being able to change output when only egnition was on.

However i only get suction from the yellow air compression reservoir tube when the engine is actually running, so thats why i ask.

Was thinking water mixed with soap to smear over cables and see if i see bobbles
Your pulling vacuum ??/ If you got a leak depends on how big of a leak your probably going to run out of vacuum before you locate the leak and soap probable won't be any help because the it won't push any bubbles outward it will suck the bubbles in ward ??/ best bet is replace all the lines you can get to with out pulling the dash apart ??/ And also there's a little check valve that should be replaced in the engine compartment ??/ You can go to GMPartsGiant.com punch in your vin # and it will direct you to the parts locator ??/ Search the list until you find the vacuum AC/Heater location it (at the top I believe ) will show a info app click on this and it should give you the part location but you going to have to page back and forth to find the part number corresponding to the part location Good luck ??/