Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

No power steering/brakes at idle

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2012, 11:17 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy No power steering/brakes at idle

Hey folks,

New to the site. Having a lot of trouble with a new power steering pump and high pressure line installation.

1995 Astro AWD w/hydroboost. Reman pump from NAPA.

Got the new pump in and everything is hooked up, no leaks, ect, got the system bleed best I could, but no power steering/brake assist at idle. Rev it up a little and everything comes to life.

Cannot drive as is. I even loosened both the high pressure fitting at the master cylinder, let it bleed out, tighten, then loosened the low pressure fitting at the gear box, let it bleed out, tightened, all while motor was running and continuing to fill reservoir. I'm at a loss at this point. I have dumped prolly a gallon of PS fluid on my driveway. lol

Any thoughts?
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:17 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Is your idle speed set too low? It appears it might be too low because everything starts to work when you rev it up a bit. Did you use the same pulley on the power steering pump or did you get a new one? Are there any vacuum leaks?
Old July 14th, 2012, 12:36 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Is your idle speed set too low? It appears it might be too low because everything starts to work when you rev it up a bit. Did you use the same pulley on the power steering pump or did you get a new one? Are there any vacuum leaks?
Idle speed was never touched and appears fine. Same pulley yes, and no vacuum leaks. Its almost as if there isn't enough hydrolic pressure at idle.. Is there a way to test if the pumps hydrolic pressure is sufficient at low RPM; without a spendy pressure tester of course?
Old July 14th, 2012, 2:04 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Thats a grotor pump. If it is low at idle, it probably is a bad pump. Is there a relief valve on the system?