Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3500 pickup NO power brakes/steering

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2006, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3500 pickup NO power brakes/steering

Hello everyone. This is my first post and hope you wonder people here have some great answers. I have a 99 chevy 3500 pickup. I have no power brakes or power steering. It does have a hydrobooster on. It does have variable effort steering. What i dont have is any pressure coming out the powersteering pump. I figure, must be the pump. Replaced with a rebuilt pump. same problem. i did have to reuse the Solenoid Actuator on the back of the pump. From what I have read the valve is suppose to go full flow if there is a problem with the Variable effort steering system. I thought it was stuck closed or something. So i removed the pintle inside the valve that controls the pressure. Same problem. What i cant figure out is why i have no pressure coming out the pump with the valve removed.

Another question: Do you still need the manual pressure valve thats inside the pump? The one with the spring. I think its suppose to be there, but not sure. i tried it with and without the manual valve. Still same results.
TIA
Old September 12th, 2006, 9:41 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 3500 pickup NO power brakes/steering

I would say the pump. If you got a warranty with it I would take it back and try another. How do you know you have no pressure out of the pump?
Old September 16th, 2006, 6:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 3500 pickup NO power brakes/steering

I ended up putting 3 pumps on this stupid truck. First one i put on was a rebuilt pump. Worked for one day then nothing. Second one i put on was another rebuilt replacement. This one just didnt work, no pressure. It has no pressure cuz i took the pressure line from the powersteering pump that goes into the hydro-booster and the fluid just drips out. Pump number Three is what fixed this truck, I hope. i now have power brakes/steering. This one i got from Hap's Automotive. Its a remanufatured unit. Now i'm going to see if i can get my original pump back from the rebuilder for a core and return those 2 bad pumps and get a refund.

Lesson learned: buy quality parts.
Old February 5th, 2015, 9:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1998 1 ton no power steering!

I got stuck in the snow, wheels were jammed in the snowbank... blew front seal and bearing in steering pump. Replaced pump, made it a mile and lost steering. Replaced that pump it did the same. 3rd pump I got used with evo valve on it. Lasted a day and lost steering. Got another reman pump and put it in. With the kit to get rid of evo valve on back of pump and this time no power steering at all. Please help!!!