Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Severe Lifter Noise - Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old October 11th, 2010, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe Lifter Noise - Any Ideas?

i've read some of the posts about lifter ticks in the avalanches. I have owned mine since new and have done the oil changes religiously. I have 142k miles on the truck. I have always heard the slight lifter tick on cold start up especially in the winter but it has always gone away. sometimes it sounded like a knock and other times like a tick.

About 2 yrs ago, the truck sat for a 3 day weekend, when i started it i heard a severe loud knocking/squeaking noise. i took it to 3 different places, 1 was a chevy dealer and they thot it was cracked bolt holes in the flywheel but werent sure. The next guy an ASE certified mechanic with his own shop thot it was lifters or flywheel and said lifters were 1500 to replace....3rd guy was long time mechanic and friend of the family. he thot it was lifters but couldnt be 100% sure. he did an oil change and flush and the noise went almost 100% away...2 days later it was gone....then about a year ago it came back lasted 3-4 days then went away....and now its back again.

i have read a lot of guys think its the lifters. any other ideas? Should i replace with factory lifters from GM or try something from say Jegs or summit?

love the truck and other than this the only other problem i have is the service brake system warning comes up and the gm mechanic said it was the ABS motor going out. ( GM has to replace because it needs an auto bleed done after replacement and you need a tech 2 to do, thanks GM!) <!--POLLS--><!--FILES--><!--SIGNATURE-->
Old October 12th, 2010, 12:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try flushing it again, they are hydraulic, and they can stick, if it worked once may as well try it again, if it stays after that, then u have a problem