Beretta, Corsica, & pre-1995 Lumina Among this grouping, these three cars, while being similar to each other, offered something for everyone, from a sports coupe to a roomy sedan.
Platform: L-Body

intermittent trouble code 32/rough idle

Search this Thread

Old April 15th, 2012, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent trouble code 32/rough idle

hey guys, i dont mean to post so many different threads, but they are for different things i guess. and this is the last thing i need done to my car. theres nothing else wrong....yet...lol.

my car is a 1993 chevy lumina 3.1v6. 240k miles

well today i was driving around, and i went go give it a little gas to get it up to 55. about 2 minutes later my check engine light came on. and it stayed untill i turned the car off. but then went away when i started it up. but before i started it up i pulled a code 32.

and every now and again, ill be cruising, and when i come to a stop, the idle will be low..and pretty rough. like a surging loping idle. all this with no check engine light. so i decided to take my egr valve completely appart and scrub everything down, the intake port as well. put new gaskets and gasket sealant on, and the problem still persists.

also, if i let the car idle rough for a few minutes, it will basically fix itself. but you can still sense a very slight hesitation like it wants to start again. ive checked the vacuum lines around the manifold, everything seems okay.

heres the weird part...i noticed a hissing, or sucking noise coming from my car. checked around and it seemed to be coming from the rear of the car by the gas tank/evap canister area. and you can smell a hint of gas fumes. idk if that would be connected in anyway or not. and since its just fumes it leads me to believe its a line running from the evap canister. because if it was a full blown gas line leaking you would notice wet gasoline somewhere right?

the lines around there look pretty old and rusty, but would a leak from that cause that rough idle? or is there a vacuum line that is ran back through there that would cause a trouble code 32? if not, then it may seem like there is something else wrong lol.
Old October 16th, 2012, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

It may be the vacuum hose
Old October 27th, 2012, 2:00 PM
CF Active Member

code 32 is bad EGR, if it is the old style EGR, check vacuum hoses.
if its electronic, it might be bad or stuck.
Take it off and soak its inner working in lubricant.

But do like he said, check all vacuum hoses.

I'm assuming the EGR is stuck open, bad idle, but drive fine with extra throttle...

Unless it is erratic idle, then it might be Leakey vacuum hose, but that would be a code 33.