Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

'92 Z24 cavy intermittent missing/running rough

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2013, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '92 Z24 cavy intermittent missing/running rough

So off and on my car misses really bad. Spark plugs are only a couple months old, pulled and check them yesterday, they're fine. Pulled the coil packs and cleaned them up real good, still missing, bought new spark plug wires, still missing.

before i bought the wires, I would pull one wire at a time and stuck another spark plug in it and started the car to double check that they were all getting spark, which they are, but when I finished it ran normal but with a couple misses here and there. So I figured the wires were shot and that's why I bought a new set.

I also gave it an oil change and put Lucas Oil Stabilizer in it, because it was long over due for a change anyway. The car has just about 210,000 miles on it and this is the first hiccup I've ran into since I bought the car.

ran my OBD I for GM on it and it only pulled code 12, which from what I understand is just a default code to say the diagnostic system is working correctly.

A friend told me possibly an O2 sensor could cause it to run like that, but I don't want to keep buying parts that wont fix the problem. Anyone know whats going on with this thing?
Old April 16th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How to Test an O2 Sensor | eHow.com

Test the 02 sensor, it can be the cause of a misfire condition due to it giving wrong feedback to the ecu and that will cause the engine to run rough