Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

1991 Cavalier front brakes

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2014, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Cavalier front brakes

I have a 1991 Chevy Cavalier 2.2 wagon. Recently when it was checked for a new inspection sticker, the mechanic found the left front caliper had one bolt that wouldn't tighten. The top bolt is tight, but when he tried to tighten the lower bolt, it just turned without tightening.

The mechanic only had time for the inspection and not for any work. He said the bracket thread may be stripped and when he had time he would have to use a thread chaser to do whatever a chaser is used for, then put in an oversized bolt.

I mentioned this to a car parts stores and was told Dorman part # 13893 is an oversized, self tapping bolt made to correct the stripped thread problem.

I called the mechanic and he said he never heard of this and couldn't understand how an oversized bolt could be used because it wouldn't fit through the sleeve now in place. Earlier he said he may have to use an oversized bolt.

A couple other mechanics I spoke with said they have used these types of bolts quite a few times and they work fine.

A call to Dorman and I was told the bolt is very slightly oversized and should fit through the sleeve fine.

Is this a problem that can usually be fixed with this bolt? The brakes work fine. I have no idea how long that bolt has been loose. It's not falling out loose. It just won't tighten.