Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 Automatic Transmission(?) problem

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2010, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 Automatic Transmission(?) problem

I've only had my Cavalier for a month, when I bought it I had them do a mechanical inspection and they did all of the necessary repairs at that time. New tires, rotors, breaks, exhaust, battery. My check engine light has been on since I bought it but the diagnostics for that light are, so I'm told, useless since they usually can't tell you what's wrong and charge you anyway. I never got it checked.

This morning on my way to work I let go of my gas pedal doing 40km/h and instead of easing off I accelerated to 55 before I hit the brakes. I thought it was weird but the car stopped fine and I turned it off. It's extremely cold and icy where I am so I figured the gas pedal just froze up briefly.
I left work, got to a stop light, stopped, light turned green, and when I pushed on the gas it revved but the wheels didn't turn. I thought I was just spinning out on the ice because of the road conditions but the wheels were actually not turning, as if it had fallen out of gear. I put it in park. I put it back in D, and still it revved and didn't move. I shut off the car, I turned on my hazards, I turned the car on again and on my dash the Battery light came on and so did my check oil. Both of those things were just done so I know somethings up with my computer. I put it in first and it started to move forwards. I put it in D again and it started running normally. I drove it all the way back to my mechanic 20 miles away with no other problems but I'm afraid my near ten year old transmission is shot. I only paid $3000 for the car so a new transmission would be ridiculous, but I love my Cavalier, it's my first car, I'm not ready to part with it. The mechanic can't look at it for a couple of days. What could be wrong? Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Old December 12th, 2010, 6:54 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check oil level in transmission. It is possible in cold weather oil does not circulate very well and oil levels below normal can result in transmission "running dry".
Old December 13th, 2010, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks! I'm going to do that.
Old December 25th, 2010, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

cavaliers dont have tranny dip sticks. depending on the amount of milage maybe it could use a tranny flush. itll cost 100 bucks but might save you a tranny
Old December 27th, 2010, 6:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cavaliers do not have dip sticks on transmission. Correct. Which does not mean oil level cannot be checked. It can be checked and oil can be added.
Old December 28th, 2010, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

its a pain int the but to do though. still think it be better off to do a tranny flush.
Old March 29th, 2011, 9:10 AM
CF Beginner

How do you check the trany level, if there is no dipstick?