Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 Cavalier Dies While Driving

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2013, 1:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Cavalier Dies While Driving

I have a 2002 Cavalier, it died on me the other day on a 45 minute trip while going down the road. I popped the clutch and it started back up. Made it another 15 minutes then it died again but bump starting didn't work. I had to pull over, tried to crank it back up, would turn over but no dice. So I started checking fuses, all ok. After about 30 minutes of trying nothing worked, so I call a buddy and I tried one more time... It started? I was able to make it a little closer to home and it did it again, temp said everything was ok (normally at 195 it was at 190) and this time I just waited. It started again after about 15 minutes and I made it home. It seemed like something was overheating I'm not sure. I thought maybe the fuel pump, but I do not know. I tried changing the filter and the relays, I blew through the fuel filter and it took some heavy breathing to get any air through. So I don't know if that was stressing the fuel pump that it was over heating and it caused it to stop, but even after changing the fuel filter it still left me on the side of the road for 30 minutes. I just don't want to spend all of this money on a fuel pump and that not be the problem. No check engine light either.
Old August 7th, 2013, 7:15 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few things you can check. Have someone to turn the key on and listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump turn on, which is located in the gas tank. If you cannot hear the fuel pump turn on try hitting the bottom of the gas tank with your first or a rubber mallet in the center of the tank while someone tries to start the truck. If it still doesn't run, try spraying starting fluid into the throttle body and see if it starts. If it starts than the pump may not be pumping. If you do hear it running you need to check to see if it is getting spark by removing a spark plug wire from a spark plug laying the tip of the plug wire next to a metal object on the engine and have someone crank the engine to see if you get any spark. If it starts after you smack the tank, then you will need a fuel pump and also change the filter.

Last edited by Jeff Collision; August 7th, 2013 at 7:18 AM.
Old August 16th, 2013, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

I agree with Jeff.... but first you have to know if it is going to be fuel or spark... so this is what I would do next time it doest start

pull any ignition wire off the the spark plug and put it as close as possible to a metalic stud, or preferably carry a spark plug tester
have someone crank it and look for spark. if you see spark then you know your ignition system is working then you have to check for fuel and you can do 2 things with the car not starting take the cap off the schreader port on the fuel rail and si if you have "good pressure" or you can just buy a fuel pressure gauge at any autoparts store and monitor the pressure as well as the leakdown once you shut the engine off. you didnt say what is the mileage of your car. Average fuel pump usefull life in cavaliers/malibus/impalas is about 100k to 130k.it may be just time to replace it if it hasnt been done yet.
Old August 17th, 2013, 5:16 AM
CF Beginner

To those having a similar problem, mine turned out to be the ignition control module.

It's right where you would check the spark at that Ihavenoclue's video shows. The ignition control module was getting hot and would cause the car to stop. I tested this by throwing cold water on top. After doing this, the car started. $130 fix compared to a $250 fuel pump.