Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

92 Silverado dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2006, 4:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Silverado dies while driving

92 Silverado 350 sometimes dies while driving down the road. It seems worse when I let of the gas. Its like turning of the key except all dash lights are on when it dies like when the key is on before you start the engine. It restarts OK.
Old July 27th, 2006, 9:18 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: 92 Silverado dies

Under your dash you should have a 12 or 14 slot plug, It should be mounted towards the front. (drivers side) If you jump the bottom right terminals with a wire then turn your key to run your engine light will flash. Count the flashes. The first one should be one short flash, long pause, 2 short flashes. That is normal and should flash that 3 times. Anything after that is a trouble code. Once you get that you can call Auto-Zone or Advance Auto Parts and they can tell you what is wrong with it. Or at least why your light is on.
If you can/want to drive it they can check it for you for free too.
Start with that and let us know.
Old July 28th, 2006, 2:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 92 Silverado dies

ORIGINAL: kcb37

Under your dash you should have a 12 or 14 slot plug, It should be mounted towards the front. (drivers side) If you jump the bottom right terminals with a wire then turn your key to run your engine light will flash. Count the flashes. The first one should be one short flash, long pause, 2 short flashes. That is normal and should flash that 3 times. Anything after that is a trouble code. Once you get that you can call Auto-Zone or Advance Auto Parts and they can tell you what is wrong with it. Or at least why your light is on.
If you can/want to drive it they can check it for you for free too.
Start with that and let us know.
Actually Autozone doesn't check OBDI. It's only OBDII. It was weird cause I worked at 3 different autozone stores and they told us not to check OBDI but in the back they had a box full of the keys to check it with. I think it's because some retards don't know which terminals to check and they end up getting shocked.
Old August 17th, 2006, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 92 Silverado dies while driving

I had the same problem with my 96 350. It would just die while driving and moments later start back with no problem. A few months later while driving it completly went dead. I took it to the shop and my fuel pump was bad.
Old August 19th, 2006, 2:14 PM
CF Senior Member

It probably depends on the Auto-Zone then. They used to check mine for me. They even gave me one of the keys.
I think I would check your fuel pump too. See how much pressure it is getting.
Old August 25th, 2006, 11:13 PM
CF Beginner

ck coil wire orientation,make sure it is'nt near anything metal,(trans tube...etc)
Old July 10th, 2012, 1:41 AM
CF Beginner

i have a chevy have ton and it dies every time i put it into gear or let off the gas and even when im at an idle. ive tried the coed check and dont have any come up. i replaced the fuel pump and filter and still having troubles and seems too be getting worst. ive also replaced the spark plugs and wires. if anyone could help me that would be great thanks.
Old July 12th, 2012, 6:42 AM
CF Junior Member

OkieChevy- I've got a 91 Chevy and a 98 chevy and my brothers got a 94. They've all had the same exact problem and it was the fuel pump on all of them. Take it to a shop and they can test the pressure it's putting out.

Fix_03- What year is it? If its pre 96 it could be your timing. 96 and up have electronic timing you cant adjust. Could be your injectors or a fuel pressure regulator. Take yours to a shop to and they can test those parts for you