Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2003 Cavalier 2.2L Ecotech mystery issue

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2014, 5:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Cavalier 2.2L Ecotech mystery issue

I have a 2003 Cavalier with the 2.2L Ecotech. About a week and a half ago I started it up, it idled for about 15 seconds and then died. I tried to start it again but it wouldn't fire. It turned over fine but wouldn't ignite the fuel. My first thought was that it was a fuel issue.

I tested the fuel pressure using the shrader valve on the fuel rail and got 30psi. GM says that it needs to be 50-60 psi to run properly so I assumed that fuel pump/fuel filter was my problem. I changed both. The pressure at the rail is now at 60psi and it still will not fire. All you need for a vehicle to run is fuel, spark, oxygen, and compression. Next on my list was testing the spark.

The spark ended up being fine. I even tried out a new coil pack along with the ICM (Ignition Control Module) just to make sure that wasn't the problem. I checked the air filter and it was still clean. While I had the intake off, I sprayed some starting fluid in the throttle body, Nothing. This made me confused. I checked the compression and it's not the best but it's plenty good for the motor to run.

I pulled the cover to check the timing and seen that it's still in line. It didn't jump time. I noticed that the cam's do have a little wear on them but nothing that should immobilize the vehicle. I ran a scanner on it but didn't find any codes. I pulled up the live data and found one unusual thing, the calculated load was reading 100%. I changed out the MAP sensor and TPS thinking that could be the problem. Still wouldn't fire. I even tried a new ECM but that didn't work either.

Now I'm completely stumped. If anyone has any idea what could be wrong or what else could be tested, please let me know! Thank you