Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Info on 2.2l Ecotech engine in 04 malibu

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Info on 2.2l Ecotech engine in 04 malibu

i'm looking at buying a 2004 chevy malibu. this was one of the first years with the ecotech engine in the base model. i was just wondering if anyone had any 'bewares' or 'cons' of this particular engine. i only have the little information that i've found in the last few days, but would like some first-hand comments.
also, the car is a light roll-over rebuilder. the hood had so little damage that my body guy was able to simply pound it out. is there any particular problems i should look for in the engine of a car that has been in a roll-over accident? again, any first-hand or professional comments are welcome. thanks anybody!
Old January 27th, 2008, 1:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Info on 2.2l Ecotech engine in 04 malibu

its a wimpy motor. good if ur not looking to feel a kick when u accelerate....passing other vehicles on the highway isnt an easy task and also makes you feel ashamed to be driving it. if ur looknig for fun, its not the car for you. if u want a smooth drive and low engine noise, its a great car.
Old January 28th, 2008, 12:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the eco tech has been around for years in teh cavalier and cobalt, it is used in the HHR, Cobalt, Malibu, Pursuit,...I think thats it...anyhow very proven engine, under powered.??? maybe but they are all the same in this catagory....and for smooth and no engine noise...cant agree here, the 2.2 makes more engine noise then the V6....just inherent has to work harder....it does shift a bit smoother...

as for the 'minor roll over' a rebuild is a car that is written off and 'rebuilt'.....there was more damage to the car then it was worth....is it classified as a 'rebuilt' or just has a declaration on it.....if its a rebuilt there was nothing minor about the roll over..an 04 is not worth much...but basically if its rebuilt it has been 'written off' by the insurance company...someone bought it CHEAP...and rebuilt it CHEAPER...check the air bags this is one area rebuilders ignore cause they are expensive to replace...it may not have any in it.

your dollar but I would NOT by a rebuilt car....
Old March 5th, 2008, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

I LOVE the engine. I don't notice that's it's hard to pass cars. Actually, It passes extremly smoothly! I'm sasisfied with it and would definitely recommend it!