Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

my engine fan is running all the time

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2016, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Very angry!

I purchased my 2011 Chevy Cruze (LTZ) as a certified car in July 2013 (before working for the dealership). I didn't have many issues the first year and half. In 2015 i started noticing the car would lag (accelerate very poorly which almost cost me a few accidents) and I'd get a warning light was when i was on the highway and i got "TRANSMISSION HOT/IDLE ENGINE". I freaked out and slowed down on the highway until the light went away, had to turn off the A/C on a hot June day in Chicago. I took it into my dealership (which i currently work at) and they said it was a coolant leak just like everyone else on here that has brought it in. So they "fixed" it and it happened to me a few months later again. This time i contacted a family friend who owns a mechanic store as i received the same warning light AND engine light came on. So he towed my car in and also said to give it to the dealership since i have extended warranty as the transmission is designed poorly and under powered that would give me that information. Which would make sense as when i am driving longer distances on the highway (with or without A/C and in hot weather) this is when these issues arise. And yes, i frequently travel on the highway. So i need a reliable safe vehicle for this. Which shouldn't even be a debate. So that occurred late summer of 2015. Obviously fall and winter in Chicago wasn't a problem for the car as it the weather was cold. Fast forwarding to June 2016 which was right around the same time as the first time this occurred i was on the highway with my sister going to my grandpa's one year memorial service, and again. My warning light came on. I slowed down and turned off a/c and opened all the windows to let the car cool down. And of course after a few minutes the indication went away. I took my car in to my partnering dealership and they said it was something small with the the coolant...again. OK so i got the car back in a few days. Then i go to Wisconsin (Baraboo) for 2 days. Less than an hour going up north from Chicago i received the same warning light. I was following another car to get up there and had to call them to tell them about my issue and we had to slow down. It happened once more before we reached our destination which was a 3 hour drive. I was infuriated as i called my service adviser and very calmly said i will bring my car back first thing Monday morning as i'm experiencing the same issues. Driving up there i drove alone while tailgating another car. Coming back, one friend was coming home with me as we live in the same direction. Happened once more coming back to Chicago and I have a witness (car also jerked and very poorly accelerated). Keep in mind i take pictures of each time my issue occurs for reference and evidence. I also include the time and date with each picture. So i drop it off Monday to the same dealership. I also start contacting Chevy corporation at this point. I find this all ridiculous that no one can find the issue. At this time i was suppose to leave for Texas the following day (Tuesday) and yes, it would be a 15 hour drive to Dallas Texas. I got the car back Wednesday with a statement and receipt saying they haven't found anything and to "keep an eye" on it. That is not my job. To keep an eye on a vehicle i don't feel safe driving and that clearly has issues. Ridiculous. So driving to Texas my warning sign "transmission hot/idle engine" came on once ( the car jerked when going up slopes and barely accelerated, also my cruise control would turn itself off). Took a picture. Coming back it happened twice. Also took a picture. I couldn't make it in back to the dealership til a week later which at this point Chevy called back saying that they called the dealership and was told everything was taken care of which i responded no, everything is not alright. I haven't had the time to take it in and will be doing so in a few days. As i'm infuriated with the incompetence of my OWN dealership and Chevy Corporation. They kept my car for 9 days. They test drove my car 3x and finally once they were able to receive the same message i would get on my MID screen. Which I've told them under certain conditions does this happen. It has to be hot outside. You have to drive the car longer than an hour. However when they got the car back and hooked it up to their computer they couldn't find anything wrong so they gave the car back to me and said my extended warranty and Chevy cant do anything for me as their computer doesn't read any problems. THERE IS A DEFINITE PROBLEM WITH THE CAR. I complained to Corporate and i found help from a lawyer at this point. CHEVY KNOWS THEIR TRANSMISSIONS are designed poorly and under powered. I am driving an UNSAFE VEHICLE and if by chance something happens to me with Chevy and the dealership ( and my extended warranty) knowing VERY WELL about my issue it will be them that has to answer to my lawyers. This is beyond ridiculous as there haven't been anything done for me. AND I WORK FOR THE DEALERSHIP FAMILY. I'm not saying i need special treatment but how dare they brush me off and not help me with ANYTHING or give me any COMPENSATION for CHEVY's DEFECTIVE VEHICLE!!! I currently have taken the car at another Chevy dealership in my area and I am waiting to hear their response. I will be collecting all of my information and i will be talking to Chevy Corporation AGAIN about this.
Old September 24th, 2016, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same Problem Here

Hi all,

It seems I'm having the same problem everyone else here is having. Fan running all the time, engine light on and gives the same code others have mentioned. Had the thermometer and housing replaced at a local dealer and it fixed it for a while, but it's back now.

I had 3 year 30k warranty but I'm at four years and 40k miles now. Hoping I can send my info to a rep here like it seems others have done in this thread so I can take it to a dealer nearby.

Thanks for reading!
Old September 24th, 2016, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

My temp gauge was constantly going off Bc of it saying its over heating but it wasn't. Then the fan started to stay on constantly. I change the coolant temp sensor and there no change beside I keep a constant temp. I just don't know what to do next.
Old October 5th, 2016, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello deanguy,

I am sorry for any vehicle trouble you are experiencing due to the engine light being illuminated. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation and help set up a dealership appointment for a vehicle diagnosis.
Please contact us via private message and include your full contact information, VIN and current mileage. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Erica Tiffany)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Laura, I notice you all apologize alot on this forum, however, I never really see you all offer to assist. I have been having the same problem for two years with my 2011 Cruze. I have had it in the shop on 3 occasions and in neither was the issue resolved, although I did take the Dealership a copy of what was in this forum as they "could not find a code". Two years later, my engine light is still on, my fan is still running constantly and now my car keeps cutting off my ac as there is a temp reading that goes back and forth as if the gauge is a swinging pendulum. Every time time I have taken the car to the dealership, they want me to pay another $99 for them to run the codes. I am a single mother with one income, I work a full time job and my family has one vehicle. Not once, has anyone ever offered me a loaner vehicle AND as I have said, I took the information from this forum to the dealership and NO ONE would look at it. They did however, put me off until my warranty ran out. It appears that there may be enough information here on this forum for a class action suit. However, from what I have seen the noble and decent response from GM would be to issue a recall. I would like this issue resolved once and for all and would love to be able to drive my little cruze a little longer but at this point, I am looking to purchase another vehicle from another manufacturer altogether. Please have someone contact me at 478-279-3055
Old October 5th, 2016, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

I am looking into a class action in this matter and would be happy to have anyone else who wishes to join me.
My information is Shannon Sheppard
sha.sheppard68@yahoo.com

I will be meeting with my attorney this week and using this forum as evidence for anyone who would like to join in.
Old October 9th, 2016, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 Cruze fan kept running

Originally Posted by a155a
Hello Everyone!
I own a 2011 Cruze with 89000 miles. The car is running smoothly but for the past week the fan stays on all the time and the engine light came on as well. I've had it checked at Pepboys and the code was about the cruise control. I don't have cruise control. Any help would be appreciated.

10/09/2016
As of 2016 I no longer have the Cruze. In regards to the fan running, we (DIY) changed the thermostat ($80) and flushed the radiator. It cost about $100 total with coolant and all.
Old October 9th, 2016, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Default Temp gauge issue

Originally Posted by Derek Giles
My temp gauge was constantly going off Bc of it saying its over heating but it wasn't. Then the fan started to stay on constantly. I change the coolant temp sensor and there no change beside I keep a constant temp. I just don't know what to do next.
Hi Derek,

Sounds like the problem I had with my 2011 Cruze. Replace the thermostat ($80) and flush the radiator. That will do the trick. Good luck!

A.
Old November 7th, 2016, 12:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fan running and unknown eye burning smell when heat is on

I have a 2012 Cruze and recently the fan is loud and keeps running well after I shut my car off. No engine light comes on. It's not cold nor hot out. But ac is generally on.

And b's on another note. Whenever the heat is on there is a smell so bad it burns your eyes. I have taken it to the dealer and of course they can't smell it.
Old February 15th, 2017, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default Fan never shuts off

Took it to autozone they said therostat changed it didnt fix the problem , took it back to autozone they said tempature sensor , changed that , fan still runs all the time and check engine light still on HELP !!!!!!!
Old February 28th, 2017, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2012 chevy cruze and I'm having the same problem of engine light and fan running loudly and constantly. Also with a code of p0599. Does anyone know if replacing the coolant temp sensor resolves the issue?

Quick Reply: my engine fan is running all the time