Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

my engine fan is running all the time

Old October 5th, 2013, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my engine fan is running all the time

I have a 2012 cruze and the engine light came on and I had check and it came to be coolant temp sensor but its not running hot .So I carried it to pep boys for a diagnostic and they could not find any thing wrong with it. The thing that bothers my wife is that the fan runs all the time and is louder than it was before the check engine light came on.Pep boys reset the computer and it was fine for 2 days then it started the same thing .check engine light and fan running all the time what could it be?
Old October 5th, 2013, 5:32 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fan goes on as an engine safety default when the check engine light goes on. Your concern isn't with the fan, but with what fault is tripping the engine light (coolant sensor).
Old October 6th, 2013, 8:56 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Replace the coolant sensor.
Old October 6th, 2013, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

the first time I had the code ran it came back as cruise control problems this car doesnt have cruise control ,this is the code I get. p0599
car is not running hot
Old October 6th, 2013, 3:10 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

It may not be running hot but the control module "thinks" it is so its turning on the fan...
if there was no code I would suggest replacing the fan relay... but since you have the code, I would investigate that further...
You might start with the thermostat...
HOWEVER, since its a 2012 you may still have some warranty left, if so I'd suggest taking it to the dealer to have it diagnosed and repaired under warranty...
Old October 7th, 2013, 3:42 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by deanguy
I have a 2012 cruze and the engine light came on and I had check and it came to be coolant temp sensor but its not running hot .So I carried it to pep boys for a diagnostic and they could not find any thing wrong with it. The thing that bothers my wife is that the fan runs all the time and is louder than it was before the check engine light came on.Pep boys reset the computer and it was fine for 2 days then it started the same thing .check engine light and fan running all the time what could it be?
Hello deanguy,

I am sorry for any vehicle trouble you are experiencing due to the engine light being illuminated. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation and help set up a dealership appointment for a vehicle diagnosis.
Please contact us via private message and include your full contact information, VIN and current mileage. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Erica Tiffany)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 13th, 2014, 10:07 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem. A day after the code came up car started smoking from under the hood, and made air in the car hazy. it was the coolant leaking on to something hot? some was coming out somewhere by the radiator .didn't have a lot of time to check it out (work parking lot , had to go to work). when i came back the coolant level was low but not gone, had no choice but to try to go drive home car did ok no problems except fan running constantly. the code reads something about thermostat circuit open. car is out of warranty because of the miles. ordered new thermostat will try to replace that. there is only one question i have. m'i correct assuming that the thermostat is on the right side of the engine up by the coolant reservoir and not by the water pump on 1.8 engine, was not able to find anything on the internet to give me clear answer where the thermostat is.
Thanks

code P0597 thermostat heater control circuit/open

Last edited by damian03; January 13th, 2014 at 11:09 PM. Reason: update
Old February 26th, 2014, 6:54 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello deanguy,

I am sorry for any vehicle trouble you are experiencing due to the engine light being illuminated. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation and help set up a dealership appointment for a vehicle diagnosis.
Please contact us via private message and include your full contact information, VIN and current mileage. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Erica Tiffany)
Chevrolet Customer Care
I am having a similar issue with my 2012 Cruze. Two days ago my fan came on and it will not go off, it keeps getting louder each and every day so I brought it to the dealership to get it checked. The engine light is on and I'm having to pay for the diagnostic and they're claiming that since I have 40,000+ miles I am out of my warranty so any repairs will be on me. This seriously rubs me the wrong way because I am just over 40,000 miles and if this is a chronic issue that is appearing on many Cruze vehicles then it should be a recall. This is my third Chevy vehicle that I've owned. I owned a Cavalier, a Cobalt and now my Cruze and this is outrageous! Why should the customers have to pay for a known software issue with the vehicle? I'm not doing anything wrong as for driving, I take care of my vehicle. It's something faulty in the vehicle and there's no reason the customer should have to pay for that! This unfortunately may be my last Chevy!

Update: I don't know if it was my call to customer service, me telling my story on the forum or the dealership itself but when it was all said and done somebody did the right thing. The dealership took care of the issue, I did get the same code as everyone with the open circuit, but they did in fact state I was covered under my warranty. I wasn't too happy coming into the dealership today but due to them doing the right thing, I was happy when I left. Thank you to everyone involved!

Last edited by bwalsh23; February 26th, 2014 at 9:43 AM.
Old February 27th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi bwalsh12,

We're pleased to learn that your concerns were resolved! Please let us know if you have any vehicle questions or concerns in the future.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 7th, 2014, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My sonic has the same P0597 code. I am bringing it to dealer today but was told I will be charged $105 if it isn't covered under warranty. I am at 43,000 miles and have ONLY had Chevy dealers work on it. I am hoping that the problem is covered under my power train warranty or emissions warranty cuz I have not done anything to cause my thermostat to break. And I agree with others who say this seems to be an ongoing issue for sonics and cruzes.

Last edited by Jeffro80; March 7th, 2014 at 7:21 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: my engine fan is running all the time