Cruze Chevy's newest entry into compact cars takes safety to an all new level and ridicules the status quo set by the other manufacturers.

Chevrolet Cruze
Also Check out CruzeChat.com

my engine fan is running all the time

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2014, 12:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 that just hit 30k mi. and the fan just started coming on all the time. The car doesn't run hot and the engine light doesn't come on. Just under 3 years and I have already had 4 or 5 recalls. So annoying that I need to take it in to have it looked at.
Old March 14th, 2014, 9:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Karink
I have a 2011 that just hit 30k mi. and the fan just started coming on all the time. The car doesn't run hot and the engine light doesn't come on. Just under 3 years and I have already had 4 or 5 recalls. So annoying that I need to take it in to have it looked at.
Is this with the air conditioning off?
Old March 15th, 2014, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, even with the AC off. As a matter of fact, I just ran somewhere this morning and the fan came on. It came on again on the way home and kept running after I parked and took the keys out of the ignition. It's only about 78* and the car consistently stays at the same temp, not running hot at all.

Last edited by Karink; March 15th, 2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old March 28th, 2014, 7:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2012 Cruze - smells like antifreeze inside and now check engine light

I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze. I drive (all highway) about 120 miles a day to work and back so my warranty is out. However, for the last 6 months or so, it smells very strong of antifreeze inside the car. Yesterday, my check engine light came on. When I took it to the auto parts store the code was P0957 :Thermostat Heater Control Circuit/Open". The fan is running constantly, and VERY loudly. I purchased a brand new car so that I wouldn't have to worry about little repairs like this. Any ideas how to fix my problem? This seems like it is a common problem with these cars, so how is it being resolved?

I am absolutely disappointed that I have to fix this car. I thought I would try to "Buy American" for a change and now I am regretting it.
Old March 28th, 2014, 2:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thermostat Heater Control Circuit? Isn't this a heater that is mounted in the thermostat housing to heat the thermostat so it will open with a quicker response?
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Karink

I ended up making an appt with the dealer and on the way there my check engine light came on. It ended up being the water pump. It was covered by Warranty and fixed.

Last edited by Karink; March 29th, 2014 at 11:11 AM.
Old March 29th, 2014, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ttmiracle
I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze. I drive (all highway) about 120 miles a day to work and back so my warranty is out. However, for the last 6 months or so, it smells very strong of antifreeze inside the car. Yesterday, my check engine light came on. When I took it to the auto parts store the code was P0957 :Thermostat Heater Control Circuit/Open". The fan is running constantly, and VERY loudly. I purchased a brand new car so that I wouldn't have to worry about little repairs like this. Any ideas how to fix my problem? This seems like it is a common problem with these cars, so how is it being resolved?

I am absolutely disappointed that I have to fix this car. I thought I would try to "Buy American" for a change and now I am regretting it.
Are you over 100k miles?
Old March 30th, 2014, 3:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Ttmiracle,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern with your Cruze. I would like to look further into your odor concern. Have you had a chance to have your Chevrolet dealership look into this yet? Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, mileage, and Chevrolet dealership name. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 2nd, 2014, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

I am experiencing the Se issue. Check engine light is on and fan keeps running. I have 49000 miles on it. Dealer told me to bring it in and I would have to pay for it. I am a newly single mom and can't afford a costly repair. I bought a new car to avoid problems and have always bought gm cars. I'm very disappointed. The dealer also said they didn't know if my car was still under warranty. I need some answers. This has been going on for about a month. Chevrolet please do something! ! I am a loyal gm owner so is my entire family. Thanks

QUOTE=Chevrolet Customer Service;258530]Hello deanguy,

I am sorry for any vehicle trouble you are experiencing due to the engine light being illuminated. I would like the opportunity to further discuss your situation and help set up a dealership appointment for a vehicle diagnosis.
Please contact us via private message and include your full contact information, VIN and current mileage. We look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Erica Tiffany)
Chevrolet Customer Care[/QUOTE]
Old May 2nd, 2014, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Angry P0597

I am so SICK of my '12 Chevy Cruze. For the first year I had it, it was in the shop every other week for something. Now I have a check engine light reading P0597. The dealer told me I would have to pay anywhere from $35-90 just for them to check out what my check engine light is for. ON TOP of whatever it costs to replace it. ON TOP of being car-less for who knows how long and having to pay for my own rental. I told the service writer that I wanted it to be seen today, and they told me they don't have any availability for 3 days, he asked if it was running okay because if it was it could wait till Tuesday. I have two jobs, drive all 150 miles a day. I can't be stranded on the side of the road when it breaks because GM can't fix their vehicles.

Quick Reply: my engine fan is running all the time