Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Equinox Sport....any options for mods/tuning?

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2014, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Equinox Sport....any options for mods/tuning?

Hey guys,

Brian here.

I am new to the forum, and am looking for some advice.

In my past, my experience has been with pre-obd2 cars with no MAF sensors.

I just got my hands on a 2009 Equinox Sport AWD with the LY7 3.6L in it. It runs well, and definitely roars for an equinox

I would like to make it a tad more powerful. In the past, I could take any pre-obd2 car, put an exhaust on it, and intake, and bigger injectors and gain 5-10% of my horsepower no problem. This car, being obd2 and having sensors everywhere, is a different story. Stock, this thing puts out supposedly 264 hp and 250 ft/lbs of torque, which is definitely adequate for an SUV, but I would love to get that extra 15-20hp/torques it deserves

I am just nervous to modify anything that could lean out my a/f ratio or do damage, as I am not sure what all is monitored on this motor, and how extreme it is already tuned. Despite the fact that the same motor (before the direct injection motors) hits more hp for the bigger chevy and buick suvs

I am just curious if there are any other 3.6 equinox owners, especially owners of the sport, but any 3.6L ly7 owners, who have modded theirs, put any bolt-ons on, or even tuned theirs?

There is some severe shift-delay in manual mode that I wish I could eliminate, and I would love to be able to hit 280hp with my equinox, as I love the car, and wanna really stick it to those honda kids

Any suggestions on what I can do without tearing down the block would be awesome, I will upload pics next time I am not at work and have some decent lighting. I am not opposed to spending some cash either, just dont really know whats out there.

thanks guys!
Old October 18th, 2014, 9:57 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

The 2007-2009 Equinox (both 3400 LNJ and 3.6L LY7) is supported by HP Tuners. This means you can get the most out of any mods. I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find some performance parts (i.e. hot cams, ported heads, etc.) since the LY7 is used in so many applications. AFAIK there no prefabbed cold air intake or exhaust kits for the Equinox.
Old October 18th, 2014, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the response. Yeah I noticed no prefabbed filters, so I am going to try to put a filter on the end of my inlet tube, where the MAF sensor is, but should I try to move the MAF back further away from the filter or should it not matter? I dont want to lean it out somehow and fry it
Old October 18th, 2014, 3:45 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Aimulator64
Thank you for the response. Yeah I noticed no prefabbed filters, so I am going to try to put a filter on the end of my inlet tube, where the MAF sensor is, but should I try to move the MAF back further away from the filter or should it not matter? I dont want to lean it out somehow and fry it
I'd leave the MAF sensor alone. You're more likely to do more harm than good.
Old October 18th, 2014, 4:37 PM
CF Beginner

will having a cone filter directly on the end of it hurt anything? the stock airbox is right on the end too, but obviously the cone will have way more flow
Old October 19th, 2014, 9:31 AM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Aimulator64
will having a cone filter directly on the end of it hurt anything? the stock airbox is right on the end too, but obviously the cone will have way more flow
I don't have any first hand experience, but I've heard that simply removing the factory airbox and replacing it with a cone filter is not a good idea. I read somewhere that the cone filter can produce turbulence in the air before it hits the MAF sensor causing the engine to stall or not start at all because the MAF sensor cannot accurately measure airflow due to the turbulance.

I have my doubts about this, but it seems plausible.