Equinox This SUV offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Stabilitrak Off Message + lost Power stearing

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2012, 12:23 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by destadum
Gave a jump with my 08 equinox now my 80 amp fuse needs replacing...no one carrys it? Anyone know where to get one specifically?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Have you checked out Amazon.com? If you would like, PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN, and I will check for a part number if possible.

*General Motors neither endorses nor maintains these sites and will not be responsible for any of its contents.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 28th, 2012, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stabilitrak

Stabilitrak Off then message Check Power Steering, & finally message vehicle conserving power...after talking with the GM 800 line & being towed the problem turned out to be the battery.

Seriously what happened to the good old days of simply letting the driver know with a clear message or symbol to check the battery; would have saved a lot of time and grief

Customer Service folks I must say were terrific, even received two follow up calls - one my a human the other an automated survey to call back
Vehicle - 2010 Equinox
Old April 5th, 2013, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default What worked for me

I had the same issue. One morning no power steering and a Service Stabilitrak warning message appeared on my DIC as soon as I started driving. I tested the 80A mega fuse with a multi-meter and it checked out so I disconnected the battery for about 20 minutes and then reconnected it. When I started it back up my power steering was working and as soon as I started driving the ABS check ran shutting the Stabilitrak light off. This was over a week ago now.

I know this is an old thread but inevitably more people will encounter this issue and be lead here by searching Google or this Forum just like myself. Maybe it will save someone some headaches and money.

-Michael
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

I need one if you stll have them. How much and do U use paypal??

Originally Posted by Equinox Owner
The 80 Amp Mega fuse is located under the hood compartment of your vehicle and it is number 63 block. I do have the 80 Amp Fuse if anyone needs one, I had to purchase several from company to get since dealership could not get it and did nothing to find out how to acquire one from outside of area.
Old December 11th, 2013, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Equinox Owner
The 80 Amp Mega fuse is located under the hood compartment of your vehicle and it is number 63 block. I do have the 80 Amp Fuse if anyone needs one, I had to purchase several from company to get since dealership could not get it and did nothing to find out how to acquire one from outside of area.
I wanted to know if you have any of the 80 amp mega fuses because I have a 07 equinox lt and I got a jump today then once I started to drive it the stabilitrak light came on and my power steering went out so I'm guessing I have the same issue
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default thanks :)

Originally Posted by cmcjls12
Never mind I figured it out, it was the Mega fuse 80 amp in the fuse box.
Thanks, this was super helpful, found the fuse at a chevy dealership and had this fixed in five minutes flat anyone know a safe way to boost the battery if it's flat without blowing the 80 amp fuse?
Old May 11th, 2015, 1:53 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by amandathebeach
Thanks, this was super helpful, found the fuse at a chevy dealership and had this fixed in five minutes flat anyone know a safe way to boost the battery if it's flat without blowing the 80 amp fuse?
Always attach the positive jumper cable first - before connecting the negative jumper cable. Be sure to attach the positive jumper cable to the large terminal on the front of the fuse block. You could also remove the battery cover and connect the cables directly to the battery terminals. That is what I've done, and I didn't have a problem.

If you really want to be safe, you could just temporarily remove the fuse and jump start the vehicle. The catch is that the vehicle will need to be turned off to safely install the fuse. The car will still start and drive fine without the fuse, but you won't have any power steering or Stabilitrak just like as if the fuse were blown.
Old May 14th, 2015, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
Always attach the positive jumper cable first - before connecting the negative jumper cable. Be sure to attach the positive jumper cable to the large terminal on the front of the fuse block. You could also remove the battery cover and connect the cables directly to the battery terminals. That is what I've done, and I didn't have a problem.

If you really want to be safe, you could just temporarily remove the fuse and jump start the vehicle. The catch is that the vehicle will need to be turned off to safely install the fuse. The car will still start and drive fine without the fuse, but you won't have any power steering or Stabilitrak just like as if the fuse were blown.
ThaNks! The battery terminals were weird and close together, I'd not seen one like that before. I think next time, because the amp was snug right between them, I'll pull it out for the boost, run the car in place and then turn it off and put the fuse back on. Or maybe I'll just NOT let the kid listen to music and forget to turn the key when she's done lol. Cheers!
Old July 6th, 2016, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hoping to bump this see if theres a solution.

Originally Posted by Wayneof North carolina
I have a 2007 Equinox and have had no problems with steering or electrical until today. I parked the car and when I started it to back from the parking spot I had no power steering. I was able to manhandle the car out of the spot and onto the road, I was a couple of miles up the road before the "service stabilitrek" light came on. Nothing I do has any effect on getting the power steering working or the service light off. Any suggestions?
Was anybody able to find out the problem to this? This just happened to me.
Old September 28th, 2016, 1:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Have any of you been to or have spoken with your dealerships? If you have please message me and I will do what I can to get this resolved. If not I suggest you do so. Many of you seem to be in the 2007-2008 range and should be covered for a fix like this under the 5 year 100,000 mile Powertrain warranty, under normal circumstances. I hope this information helps you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello Jeff,

I am also experiencing this same problem, it seems Chevy should issue a recall , since this issue is so common and widespread. Can I get some assistance in resolving this issue?

Thank you,

Nadine

Quick Reply: Stabilitrak Off Message + lost Power stearing