Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

2004 Silverado "Service Brake System"

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2014, 5:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Silverado "Service Brake System"

First post and I have an issue with the "ABS" light and the " Service Brake System" warning.
I'm in Indiana and the weather is just horrible. It's probably -10 degrees and -35 wind chill
I went to start my truck today and the battery was really low due to the cold and it's age. I believe it's still the original factory battery. I just jumped in and started it then let it run while I cleared the driveway of snow. I then turned it off and went back out a few hrs later and noticed the clock was wrong and my "ABS" light and "Service Brake System" warning was on. Any ideas what this could be from? Is it just the cold weather? I imagine the clock started 12:00 when I started it the first time, because it read 2:20 which is about how long I was back in the house.
I went for a drive and had plenty of brake. I tried pumping the brake peddle on a few stops but the warnings are still on.
Any ideas? Bill in Indiana

2004 Silverado 1500 work truck
5.3 motor 2WD
Old January 8th, 2014, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Must have been the sub zero temps and the dead battery. I got a jump start and restarted without any warnings?
Old January 22nd, 2014, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

I would say you got lucky but be on the lookout. The last time I got that message I had to have a new brake booster and master cylinder put in. Fortunately it was covered under ext war.