Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

96 tahoe no start

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2008, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 tahoe no start

i have a 96 tahoe with the 5.7 that wont start. it stalled while driving and now wont start. i checked for spark by pulling a spark plug wire boot off and grounding it to metal. it seemed to have no spark. also it did not have a check engine light when cranking so i replaced the crank position sensor. changing the crank sensor made the check engine light come on when cranking but still no start. can someone please give me some ideas
Old February 3rd, 2008, 1:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 96 tahoe no start

Just to be sure, I'd take a plug-wire loose, put a known good plug in the boot, lay metal part of plug on metal ground, have a helper crank the vehicle, watch for spark at the tip of the plug. Or you can use a cheap spark tester from the autostore.

You could also take the coil wire loose from the dist.cap, hold the wire close to engine ground, have a helper crank it, see if spark jumps. If you have spark there, but, not at the plugs, then I think the problem is the cap or rotor.

If you don't have spark anywhere then check the coil primary terminals, see what's going on.