Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

The Dealer says NEW ENGINE!!!

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2006, 1:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Dealer says NEW ENGINE!!!

I have a few questions about it but I am not sure how it works around here so I will double post my question here.

The engine has 56006 miles. last Friday I drained the oil and removed the oil filter. I let it drain while I went over to the auto parts store to buy oil (in another car).

I loaded it back up with Mobil 1 5-w30. I put 5 quarts in. 2 days later on monday right when I started the van up the engine was shaking and knocking like CRAZY. I turned it off almost right away. I opened the hood to check if maybe a belt had flown off. I saw nothing out of the ordinary. I checked the dip stick and it was full of clean new oil. I started it up again and the knocking was still there but it wasnt as violent, I decided to take it straight to the dealer because they are the closest to me. This morning they call me up and tell me that my vans engine needs to be replaced because it is a problem very deep inside the engine.

I messed up and told them that the last thing I did was change the oil. They told me that the problem was caused by lack of lubrication. A broken main bearing or a rod or something like that and that they will not open the motor to look for the cause because it is too much work and that a new motor is the best solution (it is cheaper in labor and parts to swap a motor than it is to rebuild it)

I drove the van there about 2 miles from the house and it could not accelerate, also the oil pressure was higher than normal and when I would press the gas it would climb even more.

I asked them if maybe I put too much oil?? and he said that too much oil would have not caused this, too little or no oil caused it.

There is no way that I drove with no oil. the only driving I did after I changed the oil was striaght to them after hearing the violent knocking. The truck has 56006 miles and would run great up to that point.

If anyone has any ideas I thank you in advance.
Old October 25th, 2006, 7:56 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Dealer says NEW ENGINE!!!

That friggin sucks. Being the mechanical device it is, every time you turn the key, you jack the engine up a little more. A main rod bearing is some serious s*** to break. I assume they won't warranty it?
Old October 30th, 2006, 11:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The Dealer says NEW ENGINE!!!

To be honest that sounds about right. I mean unless you take it somewhere else you really don't have much of a choice unless you tell them to tear it down to look. Might have to bite the bullet but it sucks the engine died on you with such low milage. We had a lacross in the other day that had 22k on it with a broken crankshaft in it.