Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Can a code that says Engine Misfire cylinder 3 ever be real serious??

Old June 21st, 2012, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a code that says Engine Misfire cylinder 3 ever be real serious??

Can a code that says Engine Misfire cylinder 3 ever be real serious?? Im looking at a car that I can get at a good price. The current owner is moving and needs to sell. He also said this code came out of the blue/ With all the problems the 3.1 engine has had can this error code ever lead to any REAL SERIOUS AND EXPENSIVE SOLUTIONS?? OK I know it can at times but what is the likly hood that this issue can be corrected for less than a couple of hundred dollars?

I honestly dont want to deal with changing the head gaskets etc. Please Im really under the gun and need to make a quick decision.

I got lucky on my other daughters malibu basically the same thing except this car was overheating however I discovered that the head gasket was ok so I purchased the 03 malibu for $1100 and everything workedout fine.

Im hoping this can occurr one more time!
Old June 21st, 2012, 7:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

assume the worst and make your offer accordingly. Without any diagnostic testing; its all a guesswork.

Do a compression test to rule out anything mechanical. While the #3 plugs out inspect the plug and take a look into the cylinder for coolant etc.

Last edited by tech2; June 21st, 2012 at 7:11 PM.