Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

How much torque is required to tighten shifter arm bolts to a Muncie 4-Speed?

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2011, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much torque is required to tighten shifter arm bolts to a Muncie 4-Speed?

I have an old Muncie 4-Speed with a hurst shifter. Was about to adjust the linkage rods when I noticed the bolt holding the shifter arm to the trans for 1-2 was VERY loose. I can basically use one finger and rotate it off the trans. I'm afraid to tighten it too much to cause damage. Anyone know the torque specs to properly tighten this bolt?

Old May 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Default torque

dont know for shure unless you have a gm shop manual ,i always used a short wrench tightened by hand .
but if you know the bolt size and thread (5/16-3/8) here is a chart to give the approxmite torque .
US & Metric Bolt Torque by Grade
Old May 26th, 2011, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

old dog to the rescue once again! Thanks man. I'm starting to figure that bolt shouldn't be covered in grease and oil now and I'll have to clean it off lol. (That picture I just stole off google images since I really didn't feel like crawling under for a pic of my own trans)

I'll go ahead and torque it down to standard specs since I can't seem to find a GM shop manual in my price range. Anything will be better then not even finger tightened lol. Hopefully this is why my trans kept locking up at the worst possible times.