Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Need to remove antenna wire

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2007, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to remove antenna wire

Got an '05 Cobalt, and I snapped the stud that holds the antenna. Bought a new support bracket, but I can't pull the cable out of the old one. You would think it just pulls out, but I've tried vise grips, wrenches, etc... it just won't come out.
I don't know if this is Cobalt specific, I've asked on other forums with no help. Maybe someone with a different car has had the same issue.
Any service tech's on here?
How do you pull the antenna cable from the support bracket???
Old November 29th, 2007, 1:49 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Need to remove antenna wire

is it the digital antenna on ur roof or the radio antenna on ur fender?
Old November 29th, 2007, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Standard antenna on the rear fender.

Old November 29th, 2007, 9:43 PM
CF Active Member

Antenna Cable Replacement

Callout

Component Name
[ol][/ol]
Preliminary Procedures
[ol]Remove the right instrument panel outer trim cover. Refer to Instrument Panel Outer Trim Cover Replacement .
Remove the right center pillar lower garnish molding. Refer to Center Pillar Lower Garnish Molding Replacement .
Remove the right body lock pillar garnish lower molding. Refer to Body Lock Pillar Garnish Lower Molding Replacement .
Remove the right rear compartment trim panel. Refer to Rear Compartment Trim Panel Replacement .
Pull back floor panel carpet as needed. Refer to Floor Panel Carpet Replacement . [/ol]

Antenna Cable
[ol][/ol]
Procedure
[ol]Disconnect the electrical connectors at each end of the antenna.
If the antenna cable is taped into the wiring harness then cut the ends off the old antenna and route the new antenna as close to the old one as possible using tie straps to secure the new cable. [/ol]
[ol][/ol]
[ol]maybe that will help u out[/ol]
Old November 30th, 2007, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info, but somehow I figured that the instructions would be a little vague.
In case anyone needs to know in the future.
Where the cable plugs into the support bracket, the cable has three little wings(lack of better term) that when the cable is plugged in, the wings open up in the receptacle to prevent it from being pulled out. Similar to the butterfly anchors for drywall. The only way to remove the cable is to cut it out. I used my dremel tool, just be careful not to cut too deep.

Old February 10th, 2008, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry about the blast from the past, but I'm trying to diagnose some FM reception issues on my new '07 Cobalt LS Coupe. Does the above diagram imply that there is some kind of intermediary connection the antenna wire goes to behind the glove box? Its not one contiguous cable from the antenna to the back of the head unit?

Thanks!
Old February 11th, 2008, 6:18 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

reception issues are covered under warranty, isn't your car still warrantied???......there are so many things that affect reception in cars now that you could be running in circles trying to find something.
Old February 11th, 2008, 6:43 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: shawnvw

reception issues are covered under warranty, isn't your car still warrantied???......there are so many things that affect reception in cars now that you could be running in circles trying to find something.
Its been back to the dealer three times, I'm trying to investigate the issue myself now. They're already replaced the head unit and it changed nothing.