Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

PS Pump bad again!!

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2007, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS Pump bad again!!

Anyone had any issues with broken ps pump shafts? I replaced mine in my 04 Tahoe 42K and two days later it broke again. No signs of problems other than the steering/brakes going out again. I replaced the OEM with a DELCO reman from GM.
I took the first pump apart and the shaft was broken at the turbine inside. Slight scarring but no major metal. I am looking for some help on what could be causing this? Part design flaw? Wouldn't the relief valve keep it from blowing the shaft apart? I would assume it would blow a hose before breaking the shaft. Thanks.
Old October 24th, 2007, 11:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: PS Pump bad again!!

Are you talking about the shaft the pully rides on?
Old October 25th, 2007, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: PS Pump bad again!!

Very common issue with the trucks. You'll have probably noticed where it was broken, the p/s shaft is actually smaller in diameter, and it usually breaks there. No real reason, just a weak spot. The 2.4L's in the cavaliers and sunfires had that issue too, different pump of course, but the shafts break in them. Go back to where you got it from and get warranty for it. I don't know what else to suggest, possibly jobber has made the pump shafts stronger in their pumps. GM actually had a recall for certain years/models of the trucks for this exact reason. Call GM with your serial # (last 8 digits is what they'll ask you for) and see if yours is eligible for it.