Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Went from drive to reverse while moving..car wont start

Search this Thread

Old June 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went from drive to reverse while moving..car wont start

Hello first post here. I live in a small town in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comAlaska</ST1lace</st1:State> so parts are not just expensive but shipping is a Hassel. I was driving my 1980 Chevy Custom deluxe 1 ton. I was turning the corner at no more than 10 miles per hour and being an idiot I stupidly put it from drive to reverse while it was moving. It suddenly died went comatose didn’t even hear gear grind or anything else. My fried tired to give it a quick jump I heard the radio come on and once I turned the key I heard a “click” and nothing happened. We did put it in neutral and towed it back home…I hope that being able to put it in neutral means my gear box or tranny didn’t seize up. Not wanting to go to a mechanic and spend $60 for a half hour worth of “analyzing” the problem, I wonder if I blew a fuse that might have been the “click” we heard or I might just need to recharge my battery.
<O</O
Any former experience with this issue would be helpful. I’ll be sure to post pics of my rusted chevy
.. Unfortunately I’m at work right now and not able to post pics. Thank you

Last edited by akchev; June 24th, 2011 at 1:00 PM.
Old June 29th, 2011, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

Did you recharge the battery. or that could be the corroborator or fuel pump might have gone faulty.
Old July 12th, 2011, 4:37 PM
CF Active Member

Sounds like a loose ground cable to me. I've seen people throw their cars into reverse or park at 45 mph and not really cause a no start problem. Check your battery ground cable and make sure the connections on both ends are clean and tight. You may also have a busted ground to chassis. They're a braided type cable and usually run from the engine to the firewall or a fender.
Old July 13th, 2011, 3:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chuzz
Sounds like a loose ground cable to me. I've seen people throw their cars into reverse or park at 45 mph and not really cause a no start problem. Check your battery ground cable and make sure the connections on both ends are clean and tight. You may also have a busted ground to chassis. They're a braided type cable and usually run from the engine to the firewall or a fender.
The ground on the battery seemed tight but just a 1/16 of an inch gap due to it being at an angle due to rusting. So i just tighten it as hard as i could and it started up. Thanks for the tip.