Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2010 Impala Transmission Maintenance: Drop the Pan or Flush the Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2013, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Impala Transmission Maintenance: Drop the Pan or Flush the Fluid?

I have a 2010 Impala with 81k miles. Next week I'm getting some well needed maintenance done on the vehicle, one of which is the transmission service.

From what I understand there are two methods. First option, my shop said they can flush the fluid and replace with new fluid. Second option was to drop the pan, change the filter, and fill with fresh fluid.

I've heard horror stories about flushing the fluid...of course all on the internet where it's safe to believe everything you read - - and I'm really not sure which option I should choose. Money isn't a concern and I've had no problems with the transmission whatsoever, I just know it's time to service it.

Thoughts?
Old October 7th, 2013, 4:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both are having their good and bad points, a flush has the potential to change 100% of the fluid, a simple pan drop and filter change is like 50% the fluid, BUT you are putting a fresh filter on which is a very good thing for 3year old car with 81k miles. Doesn't really make sense to put in a whole bunch of fresh fluid with an old nasty filter.
Old October 7th, 2013, 7:32 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck25
I have a 2010 Impala with 81k miles. Next week I'm getting some well needed maintenance done on the vehicle, one of which is the transmission service.

From what I understand there are two methods. First option, my shop said they can flush the fluid and replace with new fluid. Second option was to drop the pan, change the filter, and fill with fresh fluid.

I've heard horror stories about flushing the fluid...of course all on the internet where it's safe to believe everything you read - - and I'm really not sure which option I should choose. Money isn't a concern and I've had no problems with the transmission whatsoever, I just know it's time to service it.

Thoughts?
Hey Chuck25,

We're glad to hear that you haven't had any trouble with your vehicle and are keeping up on its maintenance. If there's anything we can look into for you about your Impala or maintenance we're just a private message away!

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 12th, 2013, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Change the filter; it has bits of metal and gunk; flush in six months.
Old October 13th, 2013, 6:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default Trans service

Flushing the trans is best to remove all the old fluid & replacing it with new but unless you change the filter its not a complete service ( a paper/particle type filter can not be cleaned) replacing it is the only option. I am a shop owner & a mechanic for a long time. With 81000 miles on your car it is best to do both. I suggest that the trans fluid & filter be serviced every 30000 miles if you own a truck that is used for towing I suggest servicing the trans every 20000. Maintenance is affordable a trans rebuild is not. I have two 2001 2500hd truck's with 8.1 liter engine's with Allison transmission's they both have 180000 miles & tow frequently and they perform like they were new. Because they are always serviced.
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:50 PM
CF Beginner

We did the drop pan method and it worked great. Because this was the first service on the transmission they said a flush may dislodge some stuff and damage it. If I had begun the maintenance at every 30k they said a flush would have been just fine but it wasn't worth taking the chance.
Old October 15th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Chuck25,

Great, thanks for the update.

Erica Tiffany (Assisting Amber)
Chevrolet Customer Care