Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Engine troubles 350

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2019, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine troubles 350

Hi,

so I got this impala 65 with the caprice package about a month ago, shipped from Florida to Sweden. Turns out its a 350 csb in it.

Anyway, Ive got a problem that I cant figure out myself. When I crank it, it starts right up, and dies about a second later. When I crank it and give it some gas, it starts up and revs and dies.

The carbs a rebuilt Holley 4160, no vacuum-leaks as far as I can tell.

Mallory distrubator.

Whats the next step to check?

Thx.
Old May 12th, 2019, 1:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Try squirting a little gas in the carb after it starts - if it keeps running that suggests a primary fuel problem - like filter, fuel pump, or carb needs adjustment (floats?)
I assume it has not run in the month you have owned it?
BTW welcome to the forum - lots of good folks will help you here!
Old May 12th, 2019, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Try squirting a little gas in the carb after it starts - if it keeps running that suggests a primary fuel problem - like filter, fuel pump, or carb needs adjustment (floats?)
I assume it has not run in the month you have owned it?
BTW welcome to the forum - lots of good folks will help you here!
I put the fuel hoze in an empty can, while cranking the engine and the pump worked well as far as I can tell. I adjusted the floats today.

Idk when it ran the last time, I bought it in december then its been sitting at the dock for almost two months. The owner said it ran well when I bought it.

Thanks man!
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

Turns out the ignition didnt work properly, the wire was kinda melted. Im going to replace it with a new one, the wiring diagram say its a resitance wire. Whats the purpose of it?
Old May 13th, 2019, 3:44 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You probably have on your starter solenoid 3 terminals, large one is from the battery, other two are marked s, and r. S is from the switch, r is resistor circuit that goes to the elecetronic ignition. Back in the "olden days" with HEI the issue was burning out hei coils due to constant battery voltage to them. The resistor circuit is, and I'm not sure other than it breaks battery voltage down about 50%. When you initiate a start, full battery voltage is sent to the coil, key switch not in crank, run only the resistor side of the circuit is what powers the coil. I used to have a diagram of that, but you should be able to find it online.
Old May 13th, 2019, 3:47 PM
CF Monarch

FWIW, I suspect carb issue.If it was set for a period of time, you might need to re-kit it.
Old May 14th, 2019, 1:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
You probably have on your starter solenoid 3 terminals, large one is from the battery, other two are marked s, and r. S is from the switch, r is resistor circuit that goes to the elecetronic ignition. Back in the "olden days" with HEI the issue was burning out hei coils due to constant battery voltage to them. The resistor circuit is, and I'm not sure other than it breaks battery voltage down about 50%. When you initiate a start, full battery voltage is sent to the coil, key switch not in crank, run only the resistor side of the circuit is what powers the coil. I used to have a diagram of that, but you should be able to find it online.
Only got two terminal; one from the battery and one for the ignition switch.

Whys the coil wired to the starter though? Couldnt I just buy the right resistor and wire it from the ignition key?

Last edited by Caprice65; May 14th, 2019 at 1:23 AM.
Old May 14th, 2019, 6:54 AM
CF Monarch

Coil gets full battery voltage during crank. My recommendation, trace both ends of the wire, remove both ends, check with an ohmeter, if there is a resistor in the circuit, it will show.
Old May 14th, 2019, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

This is how they wired it. Shouldnt the wire from the starter solenoid to the coil be placed on the starter positive? And shouldnt the ignition key get an additional wire to the coil? The car runs fine when the coils wired to the battery.
Old May 14th, 2019, 9:38 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

i want to clear up my information, thought the "R" terminal was for the old points style ignition. thought it had something to do with the points needing 12v while cranking.