Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

MyLink/Front End Collision Problem

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy MyLink/Front End Collision Problem

I now have a new problem with the Chevy MyLink and Front End Collision features. I use an Iphone 5S and have set favorite phone contacts on the MyLink Favorites that show up under the phone feature on the Instrument Cluster for easy selection. However, at random times, when I connect my phone these contacts will not appear on the Instrument Cluster, but they are still set in the main MyLink display. When this occurs the Front End Collision will not function, even though it is still set in the on mode. It does not matter what sensitivity setting is being used on the Front End Collision the effect is still the same.

All that is necessary to reset this condition is to turn off the car and disconnect the phone, then turn the car back on and reconnect the phone and the condition will usually reset to normal. However, it is a condition that occurs randomly and at unexpected times and needs to be fixed by Chevy.

I have had my car in the shop (Dealer) twice for this condition and it has not been fixed yet. Chevy tries to put the blame on my Iphone 5s, but it did it with my Iphone 4 too. Secondly, the Iphone is so common, one would think the car would work right with an Iphone.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 1:46 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

sorry to hear that... my 2¢ is to wait a few months and see if any updates come out for the MyLink... there is probably noting wrong with your phone... GM is in the business of building cars not GUI technology....
Hopefully a few updates to the MyLink software and some of those issues will be fixed...
Old November 3rd, 2013, 4:19 PM
CF Beginner

How do you KNOW the collision detection feature isn't working? Does the little green icon appear on the bottom of the DIC when you are following another car?

How close is your iPHONE to the MyLink system/dashboard? Is your iPHONE plugged into a mobile charger when this happens? If so, which lighter plug accessory outlet is the phone plugged into?

I have a suspicion. I bet the radio signal energy from the phone is interferring with MyLink somehow. Can you produce this effect without too much effort or is it very intermittant?
Old November 4th, 2013, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ThomasM
How do you KNOW the collision detection feature isn't working? Does the little green icon appear on the bottom of the DIC when you are following another car?

How close is your iPHONE to the MyLink system/dashboard? Is your iPHONE plugged into a mobile charger when this happens? If so, which lighter plug accessory outlet is the phone plugged into?

I have a suspicion. I bet the radio signal energy from the phone is interferring with MyLink somehow. Can you produce this effect without too much effort or is it very intermittant?
Yes, the green car symbol does not appear and the collision warning does not sound when someone begins to stop in front of me as it often does. Also, the contact favorites do not appear on the Instrument Cluster when this condition presents itself.

The condition is truly intermittent and random. I have not been able to cause it to happen. As a matter of fact I had to wait until it occurred in order to take it to the dealer while malfunctioning. Made me late for work. But it will happen a couple of times a week.

Concerning the Iphone emission interference. Does anyone know if the instrument cluster display is connected to the MyLink via hardwire or some kind of blue tooth? I would think in a permanent installation it would be hardwired, and likely a shielded cable.

The phone interference problem seems unlikely to me. I have experienced this problem with my phone in the cup holder and now it is mounted to a CD player mount. It is connected to the USB port via a cable to the arm rest compartment USB port.
Old November 6th, 2013, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Occasionally, I DID notice that my phone book wasn't available in the DIC so the other day I ran some tests.

I discovered that if the "PHONE" screen wasn't the current one in the DIC when I connected my bluetooth phone, the phone book (contact list) would never show up. But, once the phone book was downloaded into the DIC, it could be changed to a different screen (audio, info, etc.) and then returned to the PHONE screen and the list would still be there.

Meanwhile, both with and without the phone book loaded, I discovered that the front end crash warning system was always functional, so there was no correlation between the two issues with my cell phone (an LG).