Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Noob with first questions

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2014, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob with first questions

OK picked up my new 2014 on Thursday and I already have two questions.

First, it seems like the coolant temperature gauge never goes to cold. When I start the car the gauge does initialize itself, swinging from cold to hot, but it never goes down below about the first 4 lines. Even on the digital check it reads about 135* after sitting for the day. It doesn't run hot, operating temp around 190*. Now on my Traverse it's normal temp is around 210*. So I'm just wondering if this is normal or maybe I need to have the coolant temp sensor checked.

Second, I've got the leatherette/microfiber seats in black/titanium. It seems like I'm rubbing the seat bolster when I get in the car. Now on my Corvette I always rub it but the Impala seat doesn't have nearly the size of bolster. Has anyone had a problem rubbing this bolster. I'm thinking I'm going to rub a hole in it right away. Already considering seat covers to prevent any problems.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Ron
"Baldie88"
Old August 1st, 2014, 7:15 PM
CF Junior Member

About the coolant temp gauge, get it checked if it doesn't start at dead cold after initializing, or doesn't settle in just under half way, after 10 mins of driving.

As for the seats, I have the leather so have more worries than you about bolster wear. On my LTZ 2/LZ, I have memory seating with 2 positions plus a third. This third one is for exiting the vehicle. It moves the seat back and the steering up for easier exit. On your LT, you won't have this, but you could improvise manually.
Old August 2nd, 2014, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Well I checked the coolant gauge this morning and it's on cold. What initially concerned me is when I left work on Friday the gauge wasn't all the way on cold. I guess the engine compartment must be very well insulated since it sat for 9 hours in a parking garage. Oh well, at least I know it works properly.

Ron
"Baldie88"
Old August 2nd, 2014, 8:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got it on a cold start ...

Was in my other car which labels C at 160F...
Attached Thumbnails Noob with first questions-2014imp-startup.jpg  

Last edited by sledge.impy; August 11th, 2014 at 8:43 PM.