Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

sticky lifter?

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2015, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticky lifter?

I pulled out my 64 for the first time since last fall (shameful, I know) and fired it up this morning, and there is a definite tick coming from the driver side bank of the engine, that has never been there before. It's not the exhaust, I think this may be a sticky or collapsed lifter, but not completely sure. Would love to get some input on diagnosing the issue. Thanks!!
Old August 12th, 2015, 1:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Try some Sea Foam in the oil. It should free a sticky lifter. You can also put it in the gas to help the fuel system. Even if it isn't a lifter, the Sea Foam will definitely help clean the engine.
Old August 12th, 2015, 2:08 PM
CF Junior Member

How long has did you run it, a collapsed lifter should pump up with in a few minutes unless it is all gunked up with sludge. You could add some Rislone (oil with a lot of detergent) for a 50 miles or so and then do a oil change and it should take care of it. I had this issue with my 67 LeSabre and it did the trick for me. Only had to use it once.
Old August 12th, 2015, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Funny you should mention that, I use sea foam in every other tank, but not in my oil. Not typically much of an additive guy, but ever since a little sea foam took my weedwhip from boggy to screamin' after five minutes of running, I've been a believer. After I wrote the post, I actually got off my butt, pulled the driver side VC, fired it back up, and took my stethoscope to the engine. Most audible noise came from the rocker studs, and the ticking is in hole #1. Funny thing, though, after a few minutes of running, it stopped. Without the stethoscope I can't hear it at all, and with the stethoscope I'd say it's 85% gone. So I'm going to add a half pint to the oil, run it for a bit, change the oil, and say we're good to go for the Woodward Cruise, and see if I notice a hole-to-hole difference after putting a few miles on it. Thanks very much for the input oldchevy!
Old August 12th, 2015, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks blue-impala, sounds like you're describing exactly what happened.