Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

'09 engine quites after starting.

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2014, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '09 engine quites after starting.

Have an '09 2.4 that after sitting for 10 or more minutes will start and run for about 3 seconds before quitting. Subsequent attempts to start immediately after will result in virtually no run time.

I only had a very short time to check things out and found P0010 and P0420 codes. Pretty sure the latter code (cat efficiency) would not cause a no-run condition but not sure of the P0010 (Bank 1 CPM act sol). Anyhow, I did get a chance to test and clean the solenoid. On vehicle it ohmed at 14-15 but not sure if this deviation from the norm (8-12) would be a starting circuit beaker. Off the vehicle I had less conclusive results; seemed at one time to get 47-60 ohm and then a solid 12. Could have been fumbling my Fluke or, maybe, could be a bad CMP solenoid. Prior to a more accurate test I guess your advising if an out-of-spec CMP sol could cause a no-run condition would be helpful.

To me it really acts like a fuel problem. Much like a little fuel pressure builds from residual engine heat providing just enough to give a second or two of run-time and then requiring another soak to duplicate.

Appreciate any insight on the probability of a CMP solonoid to cause a no-start condition or any other usual culprit ideas you may have so I can be prepared when I perform a proper inspection/repair tomorrow.