Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2001 Malibu, Fuel gauge, AC, power windows don't work, abs, battery, engine lights on

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2008, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Malibu, Fuel gauge, AC, power windows don't work, abs, battery, engine lights on

I've got a 2001 chevy malibu with about 80,000 miles. Lately, sometimes when I start it the fuel gauge stays on empty, the brake and ABS lights stay on, sometimes the check engine and service vehicle soon lights. During this time, the AC fans don't run and I can't use the power windows. Usually within about 2 minutes everything just turns back on while I'm driving. Also, the other day when it did it, I just hit the dash above the ignition and everything immediately came back on. (Other possibly relevant info: The passlock system forgot my key once about a year ago and I had to put it back in for the 10 minute timeout before it would start. Also, it has aftermarket keyless entry/remote start, which was done by the previous owner. I've owned the car for almost 2 years and hadn't had any trouble until now.)

I've read elsewhere that this is probably tied to the ignition switch and/or ignition cylinder. (Are those even 2 different parts??) If that is indeed the problem, how much should parts and labor cost to have this fixed. Would you recommend having my Chevy dealer do it or should I take it to an independent mechanic. Is this something I could get at a parts store and change myself, if so are there instructions on the internet anywhere? I have done things before like take the door apart and replace power window regulators in a Grand Am.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old October 25th, 2008, 6:16 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Malibu, Fuel gauge, AC, power windows don't work, abs, battery, engine lights on

The ign switch could definately be the culprit in this case. could be tough to diagnose as the switch is in the dash and the problem would have to be happening while diagnosing. I don't suggest you try and do that in your driveway, and any independant garage with an average level of competance should be able to complete the job properly.
Old October 28th, 2008, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Malibu, Fuel gauge, AC, power windows don't work, abs, battery, engine lights on

Thanks for the info. It's happening pretty consistently now. And I have noticed that jiggling the key in the ignition will make it go away as well, so the ignition seems to be the culprit.