Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:36 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Door Open Light/Chime - Stuck On.

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2009, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Door Open Light/Chime - Stuck On.

2001 Malibu LS: Door open dash light, and chime randomly comes on. On older cars there used to be a plunger at the base of the frame at the door, just like refrigerators, that would retract when the door closes, to let the brain of the car know that all doors were closed.
In my manual I cannot find out what tells the car's brain that the doors are closed. I think it is the module in the door, but don't understand how it works regarding sensors to indicate the doors are closed.
Note:
  • Dealer programmed doors to unlock when the key was turned to off position 5 years ago.
  • I replaced the lock module 1+ year ago, as the auto door lock function failed on driver side door.
If anyone has information to diagnose this issue, feedback is welcomed.
Old June 9th, 2009, 3:49 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There is a switch built into the latch. Sometimes it is seviceable separately, other time you need a new latch.
If you take the door skin off you should be able to d\c a connector on the latch and the light should go out
Old June 18th, 2009, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shawn,
I disconnected 1 of the 2 plugs at the door latch, and the OPEN-Door chime went away. The only kicker is that the radio stays on even with the keys out and the door open. I have to manually shut off the radio before leaving the car, which leaves only the digital clock ON, until the 10 minute relay kicks in and all power is shut down. I CAN LIVE WITH THAT! Thanks.
Old June 18th, 2009, 8:18 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

install a little push button onto the 2 wires from the connector you disconnected and put it somewhere you can push it as you exit the vehicle to shut down the RAP system