Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Sever front end shaking in 2001 Monte Carlo

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2011, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Sever front end shaking in 2001 Monte Carlo

Hey everyone,

I have a 2001 Monte Carlo. About 4 months ago whenever I would hit the brakes going faster then 40mph my steering wheel would shake violently. Let's say I was going 60mph on the highway. I would get off and the shaking wouldn't stop till I was going less then 40mph. But, once I was going under 40mph while hitting the brakes I would get a pulsating feeling in the brake pedal. I dealt with it for the past 4 months because I rarely drive the car due to the fact I also have an 05 silverado. I brought my car to work on Thursday, (I work at a body shop). The mechanic looked at it and said it was my driver's side wheel bearing. That night after we closed, he replaced it. I drove the car home on the highway. When I went to get off my exit I was still getting the same shaking just not as severe. So, yesterday (10/14) I brought it back to work and said it was still shaking. The mechanic looked at it again and said it was my tie rod end. So, today (10/15) he replaced it. I am still getting the shaking in the front end. But, today the mechanic said that there is a small crack in a piece of metal that surrounds one of the bolts on my sub frame. Does anyone know what possibly could be the issue?! I feel at this point parts are being replaced that might not necessarily be needed. I'm also paying for this and don't want to keep shelling out money for parts that aren't 100% solving the problem.

Thanks in advance!
Old October 15th, 2011, 8:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

first off, i'd look at getting second and third opinions from other mechanics before shelling out costs.

ok, so the shaking occurs only when braking? has anyone checked the brake rotors for warping? your mechanic indicated a tie rod needed replaced? did he also inspect the rest of the steering assembly? ball joints? as for the crack, i would have a professional and competent frame shop take a look at.