Paint, Body, & Interior Getting resprayed? Want to discuss body modifications? What about your carpeting and upholstery? This is the place for it!

any idea how much to respray a 02 trailblazer?

Search this Thread

Old October 5th, 2009, 2:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any idea how much to respray a 02 trailblazer?

Mine is pretty beat up and since I just paid it off i want to fix it up a bit. Can you tell me which paints are good and which to stay away from?
Old October 6th, 2009, 12:02 PM
CF Active Member

Are you going to paint it yourself? About 3 years ago I went to a macco paint shop because I wanted to get my 99 jimmy painted black (its a dark red) I picked the second best paint option which included a clear coat. That was $300 plus $100 because it was a SUV, plus $100 per door jamb, under the hood, and tunk jamb. So that brought me up to 1000, plus $200 for sanding, taping and prep. Then if i wanted dents or dings fixed it was $75 per dent/ding. My grand total came out to be almost $1500 with tax and material fees. I talked the guy down to $1000 and wasn't going to get under the hood painted. $1000 wasn't a bad price but after looking at some of their previous work i passed. They didn't do the best job.

If your going to paint it yourself, assuming you have all the sprayguns, and materials already you can do it for much less. A guy I know painted his 1983 chevy truck himself for around $500. But he used a cheap gloss paint and no clear coat. I don't know for sure but I have been told that for a good metallic paint it can be $200 a gallon, and clear coat is pretty expensive too. On top of that i've heard that metallic paint is not the easiest to spray either.

Now me personally, I really like Duplicolor paint. Its cheap and it seems to be really good. When I smashed my stock bumper on my 99 jimmy going mud bogging, I painted the replacement bumper myself using a spray can of dupli-color touch up paint.

I think it came out pretty good. I know that dupli color also sells their paint in quarts and i believe gallons to be used in proffesional spary guns. When I repaint my 88 blazer i plan on using the sprayable dupli color black.
Hope thats helps a little.

Last edited by frickenbored; October 6th, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old October 31st, 2009, 1:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. I have read other good reviews for the duplicolor paints and the price looks good as well. Im going to be getting some quotes in the next couple weeks and go from there. If its to expensive I have a buddy who has all the equipment and has offered to help me paint it myself which I may do. Im just afraid of spending all that money and then screwing it up myself.