Astro 1985-2005
Chevy's first entry into the minivan class, offered in All Wheel Drive to add to its versatility.
Platform: M-Body

98 astro... dead battery???

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2010, 6:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 astro... dead battery???

Hi all,
this morning my wife's 98 astro v6 2wd wouldn't start. No click or anything like it was completely dead. However, after removing the key from ignition there was a rapid clicking sound from somewhere behind the instrument cluster like the sound you get when the hazards are flashing, only faster. Also, it sounded like the original equipment cd player (separate from radio head unit) was running even though there was no disc in it. I believe these things running after the van was shut off are the reason the battery was dead. They probably ran all night. There were no lights left on or doors ajar.
As soon as I jumped the battery, it fired right up. I mean immediately after hooking up the cables. No waiting time for the van battery to charge or anything. When it was running after the jump, the battery gauge showed a hair under 14 volts...normal.
I let it run for several minutes, then shut it off again. When I tried to restart, same thing...seemingly dead battery, completely silent with no ignition clicking, but the same rapid clicking sounds after key was removed.
Any ideas as to what's happening?

Last edited by steve v; May 21st, 2010 at 6:54 AM.
Old May 21st, 2010, 6:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

possibly dead battery or maybe loose connections
Old May 24th, 2010, 5:59 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by maxxman04
possibly dead battery or maybe loose connections
Agreed
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by steve v
Hi all,
this morning my wife's 98 astro v6 2wd wouldn't start. No click or anything like it was completely dead. However, after removing the key from ignition there was a rapid clicking sound from somewhere behind the instrument cluster like the sound you get when the hazards are flashing, only faster. Also, it sounded like the original equipment cd player (separate from radio head unit) was running even though there was no disc in it. I believe these things running after the van was shut off are the reason the battery was dead. They probably ran all night. There were no lights left on or doors ajar.
As soon as I jumped the battery, it fired right up. I mean immediately after hooking up the cables. No waiting time for the van battery to charge or anything. When it was running after the jump, the battery gauge showed a hair under 14 volts...normal.
I let it run for several minutes, then shut it off again. When I tried to restart, same thing...seemingly dead battery, completely silent with no ignition clicking, but the same rapid clicking sounds after key was removed.
Any ideas as to what's happening?

Hello did you find the problem from the Astro the reason it
didn't start??
The reaso I ask is because my van has the same problem
It does not start crank its dead silent, Ive checked alot of things
but it just doesn't start.