Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

DEAD BATTERY

Old November 1st, 2006, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts
Default DEAD BATTERY

Noticed in ZX's "what to do different" post that addkev & jasonw75 both mentioned a dead battery issue. The same thing happened to me last weekend. Had radio on w/ key off and since it didn't shutoff, I know it was less than ten minutes. When I tried to start, all that was there was solenoid click. Jasonw75 mentioned that there should be a shutdown feature to prevent this. I thought there was because once I left dome lite on and it was off the next morning and the battery was OK.

Anyone else experiencing this ?
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:19 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DEAD BATTERY

http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=VP007
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Thought the 07s had this built in. My 02 TrailBlazer did.
Old November 1st, 2006, 10:57 AM
davemec

My 02 TrailBlazer had it too, and I thought the 07 Tahoes had the same feature. I'll have to check the manual tonight to see if it is in there.
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:23 AM
CF Active Member

I'm thinking that they had this feature since the 80's. Where is it now??? decontented???

Jason
Old November 1st, 2006, 5:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The feature that you guys are speaking of is called; "Battery Run-down Protection", it was on the 2002 Trailblazer and it is on the 07 Tahoe and basically every GM product for the past several years.
What is does is; shut off the interior lighting if it is left on (or a door is left ajar) for 10-20 minutes depending on the vehicle, that is it.

If your battery is dying in less than 10 minutes then you need to have it checked out by the service department.
Also bear in mind that if the electrical system in these Tahoe’s is energized it is powering up to 24 different (power hungry) modules along with anything else that you have running, the bottom line is that the battery cannot be expected to run accessories for nearly as long as older vehicles.
Old November 1st, 2006, 5:12 PM
CF Active Member

Dave:

Way back a long time ago, I asked how to add a second battery?? I asked my service department to figure it out also, they said I wasn't able to do it until the "camper package" came out on the new hoes... Is this doable now? What parts will I need? My battery doesn't die in 10 minutes, but it does in 15 every time. You can see on the build sheet you sent me that I took it in and no problems were found with my charging/battery/electrical system.

Jason
Old November 1st, 2006, 5:55 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing dual batteries is the easiest thing in the world, there currently isn’t a kit for the Tahoe but the hard part (aux bat tray) is already there. Now it's just a matter of dropping the battery in and wiring it together.

You’ll need the hold down clamp (just like the factory battery already has) and then you’ll need the black and red battery cables, swedge on some end clamps and then just wire the system + to + and – to - .
Make sure that your second battery is the same part number as the stock battery or replace both batteries.
Old November 1st, 2006, 8:18 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to look at doing the dual battery. Probably with Optima's. I will keep you posted.

Kevin
Old November 1st, 2006, 9:07 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

Installing dual batteries is the easiest thing in the world, there currently isn’t a kit for the Tahoe but the hard part (aux bat tray) is already there. Now it's just a matter of dropping the battery in and wiring it together.

You’ll need the hold down clamp (just like the factory battery already has) and then you’ll need the black and red battery cables, swedge on some end clamps and then just wire the system + to + and – to - .
Make sure that your second battery is the same part number as the stock battery or replace both batteries.
Do you need to add a battery isolator or is there one built into the vehicle?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DEAD BATTERY