Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Emblem Removal

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2009, 3:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emblem Removal

Truck is a 97 K1500. I want to remove the Chevrolet "billboard" off of my tailgate so I can put advertising in it's place. What is the best way to remove the emblem and glue/tape residue?
TIA Scooter
Old August 4th, 2009, 8:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have very good luck with using hot water to heat the surface and than taking fishing line to saw through the tape,
However make sure they are taped on and not glueed, when performing repairs body shops can use glue to reattach the emblems
Old August 4th, 2009, 9:32 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Its 3m tape.

And I agree with wffokker on the method...
BUT...
...if it has been there since 97, it will be nothing short of a PITA, and if you have not had it painted since then, you might as well trash the idea. It will be a whole different shade under it. You'd be surprised how your paint has faded from what it was from the factory.

Thats my 2 copper lincolns
Old August 4th, 2009, 10:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys! I'm not too worried about the different shades of color. The truck has over 300,000 on it and it..., well, it's far from mint, so a different shade stripe will be no issue. I will take your lincolns into consideration tho!!
Old August 5th, 2009, 10:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

are you talking about the big CHEVROLET silver and black emblem on the tailgate? because i think what was said would be best. use really, really hot water, dont use a heat gun, ive seen people use heat guns and they crack the paint. but for that big of a decal, honestly, i would try and take it off with the fish line and scorching water, but know this, if you mess it up, it happens. and your lucky its just a tailgate so you can take the tailgate off and get it re-painted if need be or have your advertisement cover the whole tailgate. OH i forgot, ok. another trick, well two tricks. first, go and get a bottle of 3m adhesive and glue remover. spray the top of the emblem real good and let it soak behind the emblem. then use either your fish line, or ive seen people use a thin spachula and a microfiber towel over the spachula. and you slowly work it through. or... second offer, is substitute your 3m bottle with wd40. i know i know, strange. but, ive seen it work. just repeat the same steps as if you used the 3m adhesive remover. give those a good thought and see what you want to do. oh and a good warning, when pulling the emblem off, or any emblem on a painted surface, dont yank, slowly pull or roll away from the body, dont try and force it, ive seen people do everything right then force it off and paint chunks come with the emblem.
Old August 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

"Goo Gone" nail polish remover,"simple green" "Awesome" bug and tar remover, persistence,elbow grease, blood, sweat, & tears.

To cut the tape behind the emblem, I used plastic packaging cut into 2" wide 18" long strips with a sawing motion.

All Chevy has to do next is put about 2" more emblems on the truck body, and the emblems could BE the truck body...