Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevy Trucks, SUV's, Crossovers & Vans > Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by: Bakliner

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-06-2008, 05:10 PM
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 9
Default 1998 K1500 Silverado - Remote Start Add-on

Hi, I've tried searching for this but haven't found anything relevant. I have a '98 Chevy K1500 Silverado pickup with electric locks, but not keyless entry. I want to add remote start w/ keyless entry. I've been quoted $250 - $300 installed by different places around town. But there appears to be some confusion as to whether a "Bypass Module" is required. Some places say their computer databases tell them that my truck has a Passcode system that has to be bypassed. However, that would only be true if my truck required a key with a chip inside, or some other special key. My truck doesn't require special keys or programming. I can, and have, gone tothe local hardware store and have a simple metal key blank cut and use it. I have one I've used for years on a routine bases and have never run into any issues with starting, etc.

Despite this, does any one who has added remote start know if I would need a bypass module anyway? Also, is this something an average person could install, or is it too technical? Any info or help will be appreciated.
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
__________________
1998 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Ext. Cab.
90,000 Miles
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2008, 07:53 PM
CF Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LAke Charles, LA
Posts: 221
Default RE: 1998 K1500 Silverado - Remote Start Add-on

if your truck is a 98 it probably has the passlock 1 system not in the key in the cylender its a resistor based system the way to tell is if you have a security light on your clustor that lights for about 3 seconds when you turn on the key its in the top right i think thats around the year it started as far as puttin it in goes its not really plug n play at least for a good one anyway i can get you all the colors and locations from my alarm company if you decide to try on your own if you cant get it any where
__________________
2000 5.3 extended cab, Aem Brute Force Intake, Throttle body spacer, Flexalite Electric fans,EFI Live Tune, 07 Tahoe Factory 20" wheels
1989 GMC 5.7 single cab, soon to be 383, bagged lots of body mods in pieces right now
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2008, 08:10 PM
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 9
Default RE: 1998 K1500 Silverado - Remote Start Add-on

Quote:
ORIGINAL: x1cn18

if your truck is a 98 it probably has the passlock 1 system not in the key in the cylender its a resistor based system the way to tell is if you have a security light on your clustor that lights for about 3 seconds when you turn on the key its in the top right i think thats around the year it started as far as puttin it in goes its not really plug n play at least for a good one anyway i can get you all the colors and locations from my alarm company if you decide to try on your own if you cant get it any where
So with the passlock, I could still use a standard key, but still need bypass module for the remote start, then? As far as install, I can get one here for $250-300 installed, + 60 for the bypass,but I also see I can order one from JC Whitney for $179 + 30 for the bypass, and install it myself. The one in JCW looks the same as the one the person showed me today at the install place. Do you know anything about Valiant systems? I don't guess I'm asking for an endorsement, just if someone knows to stay away from a certain one, I'd like to know that.

Thanks for the help.
__________________
1998 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Ext. Cab.
90,000 Miles
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2008, 08:18 PM
CF Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LAke Charles, LA
Posts: 221
Default RE: 1998 K1500 Silverado - Remote Start Add-on

personally i would stay away from cheaper units i have never had good luck with them at all i have installed many different brands they either dont work right out the box, or give you problems later had a few burn up internal parts just problems all together
__________________
2000 5.3 extended cab, Aem Brute Force Intake, Throttle body spacer, Flexalite Electric fans,EFI Live Tune, 07 Tahoe Factory 20" wheels
1989 GMC 5.7 single cab, soon to be 383, bagged lots of body mods in pieces right now
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2008, 08:33 PM
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 9
Default RE: 1998 K1500 Silverado - Remote Start Add-on

Quote:
ORIGINAL: x1cn18

personally i would stay away from cheaper units i have never had good luck with them at all i have installed many different brands they either dont work right out the box, or give you problems later had a few burn up internal parts just problems all together
OK. Thanks for the help.
__________________
1998 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado Ext. Cab.
90,000 Miles
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-06-2008, 08:45 PM
CF Active Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: LAke Charles, LA
Posts: 221
Default RE: 1998 K1500 Silverado - Remote Start Add-on

not a problem
__________________
2000 5.3 extended cab, Aem Brute Force Intake, Throttle body spacer, Flexalite Electric fans,EFI Live Tune, 07 Tahoe Factory 20" wheels
1989 GMC 5.7 single cab, soon to be 383, bagged lots of body mods in pieces right now
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2008, 10:51 PM
ukrkoz's Avatar
CF Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location:
Posts: 435
Default RE: 1998 K1500 Silverado - Remote Start Add-on

if you have passlock system, and check this via VIN/dealer, you must have bypass module, or you can't install remote start. mine has passlock and key is not chipped. passlock is security system linked to body module that disables fuesl system when computer thinks truck's being stolen.
__________________
2000 SILVERADO 1500 CENTURION EDITION, 5.3 VORTEC

DON'T FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROK;
IF IT'S BROK, FIX IT RIGHT AWAY.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 10
Default RE: 1998 K1500 Silverado - Remote Start Add-on

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jp.diddy

Quote:
ORIGINAL: x1cn18

if your truck is a 98 it probably has the passlock 1 system not in the key in the cylender its a resistor based system the way to tell is if you have a security light on your clustor that lights for about 3 seconds when you turn on the key its in the top right i think thats around the year it started as far as puttin it in goes its not really plug n play at least for a good one anyway i can get you all the colors and locations from my alarm company if you decide to try on your own if you cant get it any where
So with the passlock, I could still use a standard key, but still need bypass module for the remote start, then? As far as install, I can get one here for $250-300 installed, + 60 for the bypass,but I also see I can order one from JC Whitney for $179 + 30 for the bypass, and install it myself. The one in JCW looks the same as the one the person showed me today at the install place. Do you know anything about Valiant systems? I don't guess I'm asking for an endorsement, just if someone knows to stay away from a certain one, I'd like to know that.

Thanks for the help.
Yes stay away from JCWHITNEY stuff.
You can get a Remote Start/Keyless Entry for $80
or a Remote Start/ Keyless Entry/ Alarm for $100
The GMBP is about $30
__________________
71 Camaro 355 NA
11.1650 @ 119.30
1.5028 60'
Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:54 PM
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1500, 1998, 2000, buy, chevrolety, chevy, entry, gm, install, k1500, keyless, location, module, passlock, remote, silverado, start, truck


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Join Chevroletforum
Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Internet Brands, Inc.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.

Emails Backup