Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2000 Silverado won't start in the a.m.

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2012, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Silverado won't start in the a.m.

I have a 2000 Silverado 4.3 v6 with 192,xxx miles that has been a GREAT truck. Had it since 15,xxx miles. My dad owned it before that, so its been in the family since it was driven off the lot in 2000.

The other day my wife was leaving for work. The truck started up fine. She got 20 feet away from our house and it died. She coasted to the side of the street and tried to restart it. DEAD. It did the click-click-click thing like when your battery is dead. I got home from work 10 hours later and it started right up.

In the morning the following day, I went to Autozone and they pulled the codes from the OBDII and also tested the battery. They said that the battery was bad... I replaced it with a new one. The codes that they pulled refered to the ecm. I'll have to add the exact verbiage when I get home, but I thought I'd see if the bad battery just mimicked another problem.

I went on my way and drove it all day. 3-4 starts, everything was fine AND the check engine light was now gone. GREAT!

Parked it in the driveway and left for work the next day in my other car. Wife called an hour later and stated that the truck wouldn't start again! It just click-click-clicks away. I had her try and start it an hour ago... 8-10 hours after it wouldn't start again and it started up... She said it did hesitate a bit, but I couldn't decipher over the phone.

Any ideas what the culprit would be? I hate to go and swap the $300 ecm just to have the same problems. I am not opposed to replacing the starter, but again, I don't want to replace anything I don't HAVE to.

BTW... when the truck is running, the volt meter is at 14 volts or so. So, I believe that the alternator is working properly...
Old August 23rd, 2012, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Went to start it at 6am this morning, and it started just fine... I am STUMPED!
Old August 27th, 2012, 1:40 AM
CF Active Member

start small, clean off your terminals and connections at the fender, starter and battery. What I did, which I really should post a picture, I added the auxillery battery, with a old fashion throw switch, just incase i ever run into a dead battery, i got a back up. it was about ~$120 total investment