Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ABS Ground is Driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2006, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Ground is Driving me nuts

Hello everyone, I have a major problem. I have a 2004 Silverado and it keeps getting an intermittent ABS problem light. When I pulled the code it turned out to be a communication code, U1041 I think, code is irrelevant. I called the Chevy dealership and looked it up online and it says it is a ground wire coming from the EBCM, a known issue with Silverado. I have taken the frame down to bare metal, used nuts, bolts, lockwashers...you name it and I have tried it to get a good ground, and yet it continues to happen. Does anyone have a solution to fix this? Every time that damn light comes on I get a 10 beep warning chime, and it probably clears and activates close to 100 times in a 40 min ride, this form of torture should be used on terrorsists. Any advice is well appreciated. For informational purposes, it was said online that the ground wire is on the frame under the Drivers side door, maybe 3 feet or so from the EBCM. Thanks

Chris
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ABS Ground is Driving me nuts

I sense your frustration. I wish I could help. This is the first I heard of it.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:38 AM
CF Pro Member

Sounds like you were through to ensure a good point of contact at the frame. If the ground wire itself is corroded it will still have the same effect.
Corrosion has an uncanny ability to "wick" up in electrical wiring in which case will greatly reduce the efficiency of that wire.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Will Dielectric grease help clean up a ground?
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:11 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It won't "clean up a ground" but it would help keep rust from forming again once the connection is cleaned. Make sure your wire is good and the other end of the ground connection is good.
ORIGINAL: mcphck

Will Dielectric grease help clean up a ground?
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:54 PM
CF Active Member

Ahh I remember that code and I remember cleaning the grounds. It grounds like right under the driver's side near the front body mount. I would always take my grinder and grind the frame and the terminal which fixed it for me.

What you need is the flowchart which I don't have. It would say did cleaning the ground fix the problem and if it was no it would send on down the line to check other things.

Tomorrow if I remember while I'm in school I'll pull of the flowchart on SI and see what needs to be done next.
Old November 9th, 2006, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, last night I once again messed around with this thing. Ground to nice shiney bare metal, new nuts, bolts, washers, dielectric grease, and nothing worked. I then ran a ground wire directly from the Battery and attached it to the EBCM ground wire, still nothing. I am getting DTC U1041, which states loss of communication, could this be anything other then the ground wire? Ive been looking around the web and notice that numerous Silverado owners have ABS problems, some related to the ABS sensor at each wheel, could this be the issue? I am thinking of tracing the ground wire I have been messing with back to its source, perhaps there is a faulty wire terminal or some insulation damaged. When using a voltmeter, whats a good reading for a ground? Any suggestions are welsomed and appreciated.

Chris
Old November 10th, 2006, 5:33 AM
CF Active Member

Sorry I forgot to look at the flow chart.

If your not getting communication than go to the wire that communicates and with a digital multi-meter mesure the voltoge on that wire. It's probly going to be a low reading but on most fluke meters their will be a bar on the bottom and the arrow should bounce between 0 and 7 volts pretty fast.
Old November 10th, 2006, 4:30 PM
CF Pro Member

ORIGINAL: mcphck

Ok, last night I once again messed around with this thing. Ground to nice shiney bare metal, new nuts, bolts, washers, dielectric grease, and nothing worked. I then ran a ground wire directly from the Battery and attached it to the EBCM ground wire, still nothing. I am getting DTC U1041, which states loss of communication, could this be anything other then the ground wire? Ive been looking around the web and notice that numerous Silverado owners have ABS problems, some related to the ABS sensor at each wheel, could this be the issue? I am thinking of tracing the ground wire I have been messing with back to its source, perhaps there is a faulty wire terminal or some insulation damaged. When using a voltmeter, whats a good reading for a ground? Any suggestions are welsomed and appreciated.

Chris
When using a mutlimeter set for Ohm , the continuity reading should be no more than 1 ohm ( zero if perfect) , a high value means there is a problem.

Whenever you are doing a continuity check in the Ohm setting make sure the wire doesn't have voltage.

Btw... " ran a ground wire directly from the battery and attached it to the EBCM ground wire"... was this to the chassis end or the EBCM end of the ground wire ??