Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Armor All Wheel Cleaner ruined my rims

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2012, 6:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Armor All Wheel Cleaner ruined my rims

The Armor All foaming wheel cleaner ruined my 15" 5 spoke aluminum rims. (as found on 89-95) Sprayed on as directed, waited at least 30 seconds, and rinsed clean. Ha! It left white, chaulky streaks in them that will not scrub off. As a side item, it defaced the sidewalls on my BRAND NEW Hankooks. I filed a damage claim with Armor All a little bit ago over the phone with a nice lady from Pakistan, or India...where ever... After reading the label more...it contains phosphoric acid. How nice of them to make a product that contains a product that will eat Human flesh, and expect you to spray it on your RIMS!They are sending me claim paperwork, and I must provide photos of damage, and a sample of the product. I can tell you right now, THEY are paying for the shipping of the phosphoric acid, which is a hazardous material according to usps. Are they crazy? I am so pissed. I like this truck. I worked my *** off for this truck. STAY AWAY FROM ARMOR ALL FOAMING WHEEL CLEANER. GREEN "WINDEX" STYLE BOTTLE. It's actually a wheel DESTROYER. Wish I would have Googled it before I used it.
Old June 21st, 2012, 6:55 PM
CF Active Member

The upholstry cleaner by Armor ALL is also a bad deal. Sure it makes the vinyl shiney and it feels like it is doing some real good when it soaks all the way through the vinyl, but I used to work in an upholstrey shop and noticed that amor all seats wore out quicker!
Old June 21st, 2012, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

I use phosphoric acid at my detail shop and I assure you it is in much stronger concentrate than what you can buy in the store. If I had to guess your wheels may have been still too hot or the cleaner sat on too long and dried. I have NEVER had a problem on any wheels and I have detailed over 5000 cars in the last 20+ years
Old June 21st, 2012, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by basilkies
The upholstry cleaner by Armor ALL is also a bad deal. Sure it makes the vinyl shiney and it feels like it is doing some real good when it soaks all the way through the vinyl, but I used to work in an upholstrey shop and noticed that amor all seats wore out quicker!
It is more than likely a petroleum based product and therefore will dry out the vinyl
Old June 21st, 2012, 8:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never had a problem with those "wheel cleaners" -- but the key is to scrub it like mad and rinse it off TWICE very quickly.

I had a milky-looking residue on my wheels (17" rims from the Z71 package) that I thought would never come off; but the local hand wash place was able to get it off with little fanfare.

Best of luck to you, though.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 3:07 PM
CF Junior Member

According to the msds sheet for this product there is no acid in it. There was an old product that was recalled 10-15 years ago that did have some acid in it.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 4:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by namu mac
According to the msds sheet for this product there is no acid in it. There was an old product that was recalled 10-15 years ago that did have some acid in it.
I have seen "some" over the counter wheel cleaners, obviously not this one that does containt the acid but it is so dilluted it is amazing it does anything.
Hydroflouric acid is also commonly used in wheel cleaners, as long as it is dilluted and used correctly all is well
Old June 22nd, 2012, 9:30 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you use the correct cleaner? They are labeled Chrome, Aluminum, Painted or cleaner for all types.
Old June 28th, 2012, 7:44 PM
CF Active Member

Yes, there is ACID in it. Says on the bottle. The front label says "all wheel types". I have a claim form in hand from Armour All as I speak. They did not argue, debate, or dispute what I described over the phone about my problem. They "know". and they are about to cut a check.
Old September 30th, 2022, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same thing…absolutely ruined my rims!

I know this is an old post but I seriously wish I saw this beforehand! Did anyone else figure out how to get the chalky stuff off your rims?!?