Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old August 10th, 2015, 12:06 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Clock won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clock won't turn off

My '99 Silverado clock stays on after I've shut the key off - I've been ignoring this for a while, but now one of the daylight running lights quit working, but it isn't the bulb and I'm hoping someone can suggest how to troubleshoot or fix both of these issues.

I noticed the clock quirk after the battery died and I replaced it. Now the clock stays on all the time and I can only go 3 days without starting and running the engine or it drains the battery.

I followed the manual's directions to toggle between having the clock displayed or off, but it has no effect either way - it never turns off...

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda sounds like there was a power surge that may of fugged up a computer or module that controls certian things. Have you disconnected the battery for 15 min or so to completely reset the ECM's? Other than that, got me. My running lights quit on me a few years ago and its not the bulbs, but I could care less about those, everything else works fine.

Maybe another member can shed better light on this one.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 2nd, 2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 1:34 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The radio is contained solely in the radio and has nothing to do with the computer system.
Disconnect the battery for several minutes and reconnect.
Alternatively, pull the fuses for the radio.
If that doesn't fix it, I pass the torch to another tech

As for the DRL problem, You probably have a headlight fuse blown or a connection issue.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 5:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Be sure the rod connector between the ignition lock cylinder and the ignition switch(about 18" lower on the column) is properly adjusted and tight. When you turn it off recently, do you have to turn the ignition key further than normal to get it out of the lock?
Old May 7th, 2009, 10:21 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
Alternatively, pull the fuses for the radio.
If that doesn't fix it, I pass the torch to another tech .
I pulled the fuse labeled for the radio in the engine compartment - made no change when the fuse was replaced....the clock still stays on all the time.

The radio is contained solely in the radio and has nothing to do with the computer system.
Although I agree with this, when I pulled the radio fuse, it also killed the speedo and the tach, and pulled the gauges down about 25% from where they were with the fuse in......and the radio still comes on with the ignition on. So, it behaved like it used to, clock only on with the key on, but messed up the other stuff.

As for the DRL problem, You probably have a headlight fuse blown or a connection issue.
I went ahead and pulled this fuse too. It was not blown, so there must either be a problem with the wiring or the relay....I'm leaving it out - don't want to give the State Patrol any invitations.....

Originally Posted by rivereye
Be sure the rod connector between the ignition lock cylinder and the ignition switch(about 18" lower on the column) is properly adjusted and tight. When you turn it off recently, do you have to turn the ignition key further than normal to get it out of the lock?
Although I've had no issues with the key and the radio itself shuts off normally, this will be next - I haven't had time to look into this yet.
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with rivereye on this. I would look into the ignition cylinder/switch. If it were a fuse you would have no door chime and the clock wouldn't even be illuminated. The chime fuse also is for the clock on the radio. The fog lights are probably another operation all in themselves. I would look into the fuse/relay for the fog lights as a starting point. It would be very inconvenient for both to go out at the same time unless you didn't notice one go out first.
Old May 7th, 2009, 1:51 PM
CF Active Member

If all else fails, buy a hammer. You know what to do
Old May 8th, 2009, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 98white5.0
If all else fails, buy a hammer. You know what to do
Clever....now I know who not to buy anything used from.....

The switch and the rod seem to be properly tight and adjusted.

So, any other ideas that won't require trashing the truck??
Old May 8th, 2009, 8:44 PM
Classifieds Moderator
TruckForums Liaison

I fixed an engine noise, wind noise, brake noise, and tailgate noise with one thing and one thing only... WD-40!

Spray some of that everywhere

Another option for the lights would be some good old fashioned blinker fluid: http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...&products_id=6